Importing to Final Cut 4

Samuel Smith

I've got some HD 1080i footage on my Sony HDR that I'm trying to import into Final Cut Pro 4, but it won't recogonize that camera is plugged in (via firewire). Whenever I set my camera to the DV settings, Final Cut picks it up fine. Then I switch it to HD 1080i, change FCP's easy settings to 1080i, and it won't recognize my camera. Any solutions?

Also, what is the frames per second I am filming at when I change to HD and do I have the option to change it?

I've got some HD 1080i footage on my Sony HDR that I'm trying to import into Final Cut Pro 4, but it won't recogonize that camera is plugged in (via firewire). Whenever I set my camera to the DV settings, Final Cut picks it up fine. Then I switch it to HD 1080i, change FCP's easy settings to 1080i, and it won't recognize my camera. Any solutions?

Also, what is the frames per second I am filming at when I change to HD and do I have the option to change it?

FCP 4 doesn't recognize the HDV format (although the just announced FCP 5 does). Hit this place for your options. dvinfo.net

That camera always shoots 1080/60i, IIRC. It has different shooting "looks" (like cineframe 24) but all they are are electronic filters manipulating the image, not a true change in framerate.

-Andrew

One correction on what I asked earlier, I have final cut pro 4.5 which should support HD, but I am still having no luck importing.

HDV and HD are not the same thing. If you want to cut HDV you can either purchase FCP 5 when it comes out or follow the workflow discussed in the link in my previous post.

Andrew