A general question about the Vario Switar

Brian Rose

All,

I've been looking on ebay for a Bolex RX-5, and often the camera's I've seen have come with a Vario Switar Lense. I've heard that these have some special controls, but I'm a little in the dark. Could anyone out there explain just what the Vario Switar has to offer?

Best,

BR

What Vario means is "Variable" or "Zoom" Hence, a Vario Switar is a Zoom Switar lens. Means you can change the focal length, say from 11mm to 70mm, or something along those lines. Zoom lenses are not as sharp as primes, but most people never can tell the difference.

What Vario means is "Variable" or "Zoom" Hence, a Vario Switar is a Zoom Switar lens. Means you can change the focal length, say from 11mm to 70mm, or something along those lines. Zoom lenses are not as sharp as primes, but most people never can tell the difference.

Thank you for your help. I should have been more specific. I realize it is a zoom lense. What I was wondering more was the exposure controls. I had heard that it offers automatic or manual exposure, and automatic or manual zoom. Is this correct? does the lens offer anything else? Would anyone recommend I get a vario?

• 2 months later...
What Vario means is "Variable" or "Zoom"  Hence, a Vario Switar is a Zoom Switar lens.  Means you can change the focal length, say from 11mm to 70mm, or something along those lines.  Zoom lenses are not as sharp as primes, but most people never can tell the difference.

Thank you for your help.  I should have been more specific.  I realize it is a zoom lense.  What I was wondering more was the exposure controls.  I had heard that it offers automatic or manual exposure, and automatic or manual zoom.  Is this correct?  does the lens offer anything else?  Would anyone recommend I get a vario?

There are all sorts of vario switars. The POE is a good lens, though it seems a little heavy for the c mount. They have built in light meters, so basically when you zoom it adjusts the settings so the exposure stays constant (like an automatic still camera).

Also, there are compact vario switars which are little zooms without the auto exposure. They seem nice but a little slow at 3.something (the POE is 1.9)

You don't have that many options with a reflex viewing system. The angenieux 12-120 (which is a little slower, no auto, and softer) or the varios.

Steven

What Vario means is "Variable" or "Zoom"  Hence, a Vario Switar is a Zoom Switar lens.  Means you can change the focal length, say from 11mm to 70mm, or something along those lines.  Zoom lenses are not as sharp as primes, but most people never can tell the difference.

Thank you for your help.  I should have been more specific.  I realize it is a zoom lense.  What I was wondering more was the exposure controls.  I had heard that it offers automatic or manual exposure, and automatic or manual zoom.  Is this correct?  does the lens offer anything else?  Would anyone recommend I get a vario?

There are all sorts of vario switars. The POE is a good lens, though it seems a little heavy for the c mount. They have built in light meters, so basically when you zoom it adjusts the settings so the exposure stays constant (like an automatic still camera).

Also, there are compact vario switars which are little zooms without the auto exposure. They seem nice but a little slow at 3.something (the POE is 1.9)

You don't have that many options with a reflex viewing system. The angenieux 12-120 (which is a little slower, no auto, and softer) or the varios.

Steven

Honestly though, primes seem much more reasonable on a RX. If you're going to be using mostly a zoom get an SBM and a POE with the Bayo mount. Then you can get a c mount adapter and use a prime when you need to for wide shots.

There are all sorts of vario switars. The POE is a good lens, though it seems a little heavy for the c mount.... If you're going to be using mostly a zoom get an SBM and a POE with the Bayo mount. Then you can get a c mount adapter and use a prime when you need to for wide shots.

This is something I was told recently concerning the POE and Rex-5...

"When the POE lens is attached to the turret, there is a turret locking plug

that holds the turret very tightly to the camera. Remember that

the bayonet lenses are just the C mount lenses with the bayonet adaptor

fitted to them. (The bayonet is held on to the barrel of the lens with three

small screws that total a far smaller screw thread area than a C mount's

area). The apparent increase of sturdiness is more of an appearance than a

fact."

The POE is a great lens regardless of the camera it's attached to. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Edited by Struwwelpeter

I don't even think c mount and the bayo poe can be compared in terms of sturdiness. On the c mount, the only place the lens touches the camera is a metal tube a litte bigger than my thumb. On the bayo, the whole lens touches the mount. It is about the size of my wrist. I'd hold my SBM by the POE and not be worried, but I wouldn't try that with a rex 5.

Anyway, I'm sure the c mount is rugged enough for normal usage.

Also, everyone who is selling a c mount les says the same thing. I listened to them until I looked at both mounts. They still tell me, when I ask for a POE... we have the c mount, get an adapter and use it in your SBM. It's about the same.

Not quite.

Steven