Digital Juice Butterfly Kit

Hello!

I apologize if this is the dumbest question you've seen today, but you've got to start learning grip gear somewhere. We recently purchased the Digital Juice Butterfly frame kit, and I'm looking to expand my rag set. I've looked at potentially a bleached muslin, single scrim, and potentially a full grid. The problem is, I'm trying to figure out what it already has. Does anyone know if the "white screen" is anything noteworthy? It works decent enough for a bounce or to diffuse general lights, but for anything like sunlight it's far too strong.

For reference, the kit is sold here: http://gear.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=2420

Any thoughts?

I'm assuming the white screen is just a silk, seeing as every butterfly I've come across has come with at least a silk and a flag.

What do you mean it's too strong? The sun is too strong for the silk, or the silk cuts too much of the sun?

The silk cuts too much of the sun. The first time I shot with it to test it out, I ended up with an overly diffused talent in front of a very bright backdrop. Granted, I made a few other mistakes with that one too and didn't bounce enough light to the talent, but it was still much stronger than I would have needed. I had assumed it may be a full silk, but wasn't sure.

Well if it works with regular lights, maybe you want to look into a lighter silk for outdoors. It probably is close to a full silk, I find it odd that they don't say how strong it is. I definitely second the bleached muslin, possibly look into an unbleached as well for a nice warm glow. Maybe also a shiny white flag, I've found that to be useful for bouncing into a larger area outside. The kits I use come with a silk and a flag that's white on one side and black on the other. The flag's really useful, you get to carry 2 rags in the space of one!

I think a double net is more useful than a single net, and 1/4 or light grid more than a full grid. I'll second ultra bounce. It really comes down to how you use it most, and personal taste. Rags are cheap to rent so you could try a few different options on a couple shoots before buying. Also a rental house may let you set up a little test and try a few out in their shop.

On a side note, I've never had my hands on this brand frame, but based on the photos I would be very cautious about flying it over actors' heads outdoors. Certainly never on c-stands as pictured, only combi stands.