ISG QuadHDTV

Ilmari Reitmaa

• Premium Member

Note that some Kodak folks are among the founders of this company, located in Fairport NY, only a few miles from Kodak in Rochester. Some of their cameras use Kodak Image Sensors:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digital/ccd/sensorsMain.jhtml

Is it not time for a 4096x2160 camera and not 3840x2160 to be in liine with DCI specifications. JVC started with 3840x2160 panels in their high resolution projector. They now have a 4096x2160 chip in line with DCI specifications.

I have read somewhere that JVC has a 4096x2160 camera coming is that true? If not is anyone doing 4096x2160.

I admit the difference it not that big but a standard is still a standard. Quad HDTV has the the 16:9 aspect ratio. The DCI format is wider more towards and a little beyond 1.85:1.

Is it not time for a 4096x2160 camera and not 3840x2160 to be in liine with DCI specifications. JVC started with 3840x2160 panels in their high resolution projector. They now have a 4096x2160 chip in line with DCI specifications.

I have read somewhere that JVC has a 4096x2160 camera coming is that true? If not is anyone doing 4096x2160.

The DCI 4096 x 2160 specification is, I believe, a projection spec and as such meant to accommodate different formats with different aspect ratios. Nevertheless, despite that it says on the ISG www-site that the camera "[...] was designed to specifically meet the requirements for high resolution video capture as used in Digital Cinematography, [...]" it really is just a crude box with a lens mount and a high-resolution sensor, and as such inapplicable for any serious cinematography; I'd say it makes no difference whether it meets the DCI specs or not. However, technology-wise an interesting device still. Hearsay goes that once available the price would be something like $40 000.

As for 4k cameras, there are companies are working on prototypes (e.g. Olympus and NHK), but whether they'll be available any time soon, or at all, is another story.

As a distantly related sidenote, Sony will soon be releasing 4k projectors which Landmark Theatres are then planning to deploy.

Edited by Ilmari Reitmaa

NHK seems to often work in collaboration with JVC. NHK uses high resolution d-ila panels for UHDV system with 4320p pseudo resolution, psuedo in the same way as Dalsa is "not" 4k(2000p). I would not be surprised if NHK ends up using 4096x2160 sensors from JVC.

Edited by Ohlson