My K3 super 16 modification

Guest jeremy edge

Guest jeremy edge

I have 2 k3s:

A windup a bought off ebay for $150 and one that I bought used that had a tobin motor installed. i wanted both cameras in super 16 so I figured I'd take my shot at the spring wound one.

It was easy to get apart, easy to file the gate.

Difficult to reassemble...as I was warned!

That wheel that has to sit between those pawls...thats ridiulously hard...i just kept tying till I got lucky.not to mention those tiny screws on the main sprocket that are real hard to get to...what a pain!

So I got it back together and it runs film and sounds as smooth as it did before I butchered it.Its nice having those formers out!

It did however seemed to mark the old film I ran through it. I wonder if I should polish the gate with emory cloth or something? i thought i got it pretty smooth.there are some scratches and weird marks near the sprocket holes ..I hope I have the main sprocket seated right. It also apperas I may have gotten a little of that "gunk" from the cameras inside in the film path.so it looks like i have some cleaning and tweaking to do.But the good news is it runs again without chewing up film.

Now i just have to get up the nerve to do this to my motorized baby.

hopefully this experience will help my 2nd attempt.

Anyone else mod their k3 themseves willing to share some tips?

• 6 years later...

I have 2 k3s:

A windup a bought off ebay for $150 and one that I bought used that had a tobin motor installed. i wanted both cameras in super 16 so I figured I'd take my shot at the spring wound one.

It was easy to get apart, easy to file the gate.

Difficult to reassemble...as I was warned!

That wheel that has to sit between those pawls...thats ridiulously hard...i just kept tying till I got lucky.not to mention those tiny screws on the main sprocket that are real hard to get to...what a pain!

So I got it back together and it runs film and sounds as smooth as it did before I butchered it.Its nice having those formers out!

It did however seemed to mark the old film I ran through it. I wonder if I should polish the gate with emory cloth or something? i thought i got it pretty smooth.there are some scratches and weird marks near the sprocket holes ..I hope I have the main sprocket seated right. It also apperas I may have gotten a little of that "gunk" from the cameras inside in the film path.so it looks like i have some cleaning and tweaking to do.But the good news is it runs again without chewing up film.

Now i just have to get up the nerve to do this to my motorized baby.

hopefully this experience will help my 2nd attempt.

Anyone else mod their k3 themseves willing to share some tips?

Hello, I have PROBLEM when assemble my K-3. When I press the button, nothing happens. Any suggestions?