Buying an RX5

Brian Rose

All,

I have decided, sometime this summer, to upgrade to an RX5. I have two choices of action, and I'm not sure what to take. The 1st option is, buying off of ebay. Here, I have a better chance of getting a package deal, say an RX with a Vario Switar and perhaps even a film magazine and a motor. However, there is the everpresent danger of Caveat Emptor. The other option is, buying from a reputable dealer. I have done business with Guy Bodart of cameraspro.com, and he sells, among others, RX5 models, but they run $1800 and are the body only. However, there is the security of knowing more or less that what I will be receiving will be good. So, my question is, which option is the best? Or is there a third option? Does anyone know of another dealer, who perhaps offers package deals. Ideally, I would like a camera with a Vario Switar, magazine, tobin motor, and a takeup motor. I would appreciate any help.

Best,

BR

Presently, Roger Sharland, (first-camera @ eBay), is offering a Bolex RX-5 body, with a starting bid of US$599.99. He's checked it out and serviced it, too. I'd recommend him as a reputable dealer. The item number is 7509062224. And, Clive Tobin occasionally offers his equipment on eBay and has combined a shipment from an eBay sale with other items from his catalog for me.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Did you end up finding an RX 5? Personally, I don't really understand why so many people get RX 5's and use a zoom on them. Why not shoot for a bolex bayo mount and get a c mount adaptor in case you decide to use primes? The cameras are actually a little cheaper because everyone seems to have a kind of romantic fascination with the rex 5, even when it isn't really suited to their needs. I, in fact, have the same fascination but I ended up with an SBM just because I found a deal. It seems a much better choice for a zoom. The mount is so sturdy it's surprising. Anyway, my two cents.

Steven