Adding a 400ft Magazine to my Bolex S16 SBM

Julian Fletcher

Hi All,

I have a factory made Super 16 spring-wound SBM, and want to add a 400ft magazine to it.

I will probably end up buying one from ebay I guess, primarily to save on cost.

I have several questions though

a) Do I need a specific type for it to be Super 16 compatible, or are they all the same?

b) what accessories / additional items do I need?

c) I saw an EM motor attachment for sale - would this help? Is it an advisable item to fit when adding the 400ft magazine?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Julian

There are parts for the magazine that need machined so that the film doesn't get scratched in the newly expanded image area of the film. The internal rollers that are used in the camera body need machined as does the contact spindles of the tension arms inside the mag. The entrance and exit ports of the mag may need modified as well. This is standard procedure for using the 400' mag with a S16 Bolex- (I have a Rex5 S16). JK camera did my conversion and does good work for a good price. Hope this helps- and yes, you need the torque motor that mounts to the outside of the mag and is connected to the ESM camera motor with a small connection cord.

• 2 months later...

I had super 16 rollers. If I find them I'll post back. The only way you can not use a take-up motor is if you take up to the in-body spool. Which I have done just to be able to keep different film in different mags as supplys for takes that are less than 100ft.