Film Snorkels with HD Cams

Emanuel Schwermer, bvk

Hello HD Proffs.,

read all about this Inovision Probe System thing, but please allow me one question, if we use a snorkel, like a T-Rex Superscope System, or a Inovision Probe, designed for film use (35mill), with a HD Cam, is´nt there a Problem, because the Snorkel is calculated for a Film Plane?

What I mean is, some Snorkel Systems, like the T-Rex do have an adaptor in the kit, to use this lovely Film device, for Sony Cameras with B4 Sony Mount - also Varicam or what ever, almost every 2/3`Chip Camera, right?

But the adaptor is just a mechanical thing, just to get the lens/snorkel on/in the cam within the right "depth". Nothing is adapted concerning "filmplane" and prism. In terms of film, colors are after each other in the emulsion, right?

In terms of Video colors are getting split, like in a prism (beamsplitter), like in every Video Cam, right?

Just to leave this very simple, I know what I´m talking about, but maybe I can not write so understandable about what i mean in english because I´m german, sorry for that!

I think you know what I´m talking about...

For one Shoot I used a T-Rex wide open (T7) with a HD Cam for a interior set, in front of a curtain (window front), sun came in the window through the curtain - high, very high contrast ratio, within the frame.

The footage, shot with the T-Rex on HDCAM Camera (F900), was almost not useable, we got that high chromatic ab´s, like blue rims around white things (pillows), it was even not to fix in a high class post process.

So, OK, I heard about the Optex "Excellence" System, they do provide a HD adaptor. Is this a complete solution? I shot so many commercials (as AC) with the T-Rex in 35mill., we never had problems with chrom. aberations at T7 and high contr. circumstances.

I heard about many people shooting with the T-Rex in HD, never heard about problems, did this people had an "HD adopter" for the T-Rex - this adaptor is for sure not provided by P+S Technik, the company manufacturing the T.Rex - I talked to them.

You guys stopping down (lighting high) to T 16?

Just a maybe stupid question,

Emanuel

1st AC - Munich - Germany

• Premium Member

I've used the Optex Excellence system and had very good results. It has different modules for film vs. video to solve the film plane vs. video prism issues. Very crisp and sharp. Easy to use.

Compensation for the prism is just one of the issues that makes video lenses unique from film lenses. Don't forget that the three CCD's in a video camera are actually at slightly different back focal distances, to make it easier to correct for chromatic aberration. My understanding is that this was an early concession to make it cheaper to design and manufacture video lenses. So if you put a video lens on a film camera, unless you stop down enough (or are shooting on a long enough lens so you have a great deal of depth of focus), you'll see chromatic aberration.

J

• 3 weeks later...
I believe Innovision makes HD Snorkel lenses, it would probably be better to use a lense made for an HD camera instead of using some adapter.

I've use dthe Optex Excellence on Viper and f900.

Results are indeed excellent.

T2 high sharpness and contrast come at the expense of fewer moving parts.

Haven't used the Innovision.

Mike Brennan