WTB: Zeiss Moviscop Viewer/Editor

Matthew B Clark

Hello. I figured I'd better try my luck here. Ebay seems a little low on reliable pieces. I am looking to invest in a working Moviscop viewer/editor system with rewinds. The hope is to set up shop in the basement of my new rented house here, to edit 16mm reversal for shorts and animations. Anything comparable will be of interest as well. I have just heard the Moviscop is very user friendy and won't scratch film easily. The main thing is, I just need a personal set-up to do manual viewing/editing. Thanks.

• 5 months later...

i just purchased one and I got it locally. It came with a working light bulb and aside from some dust it seemed O.K to me ( a person who has never used this device but has poured over images of this thing for a few years now..) i had to ride my bike to pick it up and riding a bicycle in NYC while holding a Moviskop is a challenge.

Upon real real inspection ( meaning in the cozy confines of my room ) I found that the voltage selector was different from a lot of the ones I had viewed online and different from the one mentioned and showed in C.U in the manual that was uploaded on Ape City.

I will have to take a picture, but my voltage selector is is @ 125v, and to change voltage there is no turn nob but rather a key slot were you can stick in either a screwdriver with a wide enough head or really anything and try to turn it so that you can set the voltage according to where you are in the world, for where i am, I figure its 110v. So this was the first hiccup for me.

Second hiccup. Focus. Loading this with 16mm is VERY EASY! & I must say, handling the film through the rollers is great, no rips or tears, SADLY ALL I was doing was just winding the film from one metal spool to the next... as no clear image, no image really was shown much to my dismay, and that is were I am at. I was able to unscrew my focus knob out and put it back in but moving the focus does nothing.

I now have to see if i can find someone that services these badboys! Despite this bummer i am not really all that bummed. The unit itself physically is mint. I suspect something is loose inside, cause when I move the unit i hear something moving inside. I would open up the unit but there is no repair/service manual online so I hither to do so.

I feel like this a minor problem that can be overcome, hopefully I can figure out what the heck is wrong.

Edited by Rudy Velez Jr

I bought one a while back because it was cheap and the black version which is kinda neat in its own way. But yeah it was also out of focus, and severely misaligned too! There are a couple places that referbish and sell them, but I wasn't going pay a lot of money, so I spent a night taking it apart and cleaning it and trying to figure out how it worked so I could fix the problems.

I was eventually able to sort of figure it out. I say sort of because I remember it being pretty confusing (this was like a year and a half ago, so excuse me for being vague), and I could only ever get so far with it. I mean, I got it to where it was usable, but the image is still a little crooked, and some of my friends have moviscops that are MUCH sharper. So, I've been meaning to open mine up and see if I can't get it back to perfect working order anyway. If I get some free time some weekend and I figure anything out, I'll post pictures on here so you can maybe fix yours too.

Edited by Josh Gladstone

Cool I found a guy who fix mine! I just don't have the dough at the moment. Thanks for the reply Josh

Matt: I hear the Magasync Viewer is good too for 16mm. There is one on eBay right now. Looks rough though. In general from what I have gathered the TWO most common viewers are the Magasync which is by Moviola and the Moviskop by Zeiss.

Edited by Rudy Velez Jr