Fuji Eterna 500

Anyone have any experience or opinions of this stock in 16mm. I am considering using it for some, for want of a better description, documentary work. I need a stock with lots of versatility and plenty of speed.

Cheers

Matt

I'm just finishing some tests with the Eterna 500 in 35mm, I can post my impressions when I get the tests back if that's helpful. I'm doing very basic exposure and contrast ratio tests, comparing normal processing and a one stop push.

I shot my last feature on the older Fuji F-500T (8572) in regular 16mm, I'm just now finishing up the online edit from a standard def D5 transfer from a Spirit. I like the look of the older stock a lot, I think it looks better than 7279 does as far as my taste goes. The grain is very reasonable for 500 speed, I like the contrast and the overall feel of it, I've been taking the look of the film towards a cooler, desaturated look which has looked good.

The new Fuji stock seems like it would be a good choice for documentary work, maybe test it out if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

My tests came back today, got to see some workprint projected on the big screen which was nice. These tests were shot in 35mm, simple filter and exposure tests, looking at Fuji F-250D (8562) and Fuji Eterna 500T (8573).

Comparing the two, I thought that the 250D looked a bit more pastel and lower in contrast than the 500T, the grain was very similar though. Fuji claims that the Eterna has a grain structure similar to that of a 250 speed film, and from my tests, I would agree.

I tested the Eterna pushed one stop as well as processed normally. The biggest difference to my eye was that with the push, the skin tones tended to get more red, which of course became more pronounced with underexposure. The grain didn't jump very much, though the color saturation and contrast both increased a bit.

From memory, my feeling is that the Eterna 500T is a noticeable improvement over the F-500T, especially in tersm of grain, also slightly lower contrast and less color saturation. I've only shot a little bit of the older Fuji in 35mm, though, and it was probably short ends so I wouldn't take my impressions as anything too scientific.

• Premium Member
How do you think Fuji film compares to Kodak?  Are they priced about the same?  I've never bothered trying to shoot Fuji film.

You should give Fuji a try. It is a different look than Kodak, so if anything it gives you more creative options. I am very happy that they will soon be releasing a full range of improved stocks to complement the Eterna 500T, since everyone seems to be shooting 5218 these days. Even the slower Kodak stocks (100T, 200T) are designed to match the 5218 in terms of contrast and color, so there isn't that much difference in 'personality' between the new Kodak stocks anymore, with the lone exception of 5229 maybe.

The new Fuji 400T is supposed to look really nice from what I hear. :ph34r: