Campfire establishing shot setup

Hello all you wonderful cinematic minds out there!

Olympia Washington here and I'm hoping to get some input and a solution on this. I'm shooting a beyond micro budget feature in the fall and I've got this in the screenplay:

"EXT. CAMPFIRE IN FOREST - EVENING

Moving through a campfire to young mans face."

My first impulse is to set up the jib with a longer lens and have two grips hold a steel plate to cover the fire as I go over, but that will change the light coming from the fire. I could also rig some sort of protection plate under the camera and jib, but I would prefer not to add more weight than is needed on the jib. I also have a "danadolly like" DIY dolly that is six feet of straight track. I guess I could go past the fire and pan with the subject.

I'm shooting with a C100 and I've got a selection of decent glass, so if anyone has ANY ideas how to pull this shot off, PLEASE help!

Thanks for looking!

Dylan

A long zoom lens would work. Has the added benefit of keeping the fire/flame effect in frame for the whole shot.

Definitely my first thought too Satsuki! I have the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS that I'm planning on using at about 135mm F5.6. I was really hoping there is some trick shot to take it "through" the flames.