Switar 10mm lens question

Mike Lary

Hi folks,

I just purchased a Switar 10mm RX lens, and the front element has a large scratch on it. The seller assured me that this element is a removable filter that requires a special key. In a way, this makes sense because the glass is flat (unlike the curved element under it) and it rests in the area where a filter would go (if compared to other RX lenses like the Switar 25). However, there is no way that I can see that it could be removed, so I'm wondering if it's a fixed element. I looked at a wide angle Switar for a Bolex H8 and it has a similar element that is fixed into the lens. Does anyone know what the deal is with this? I know the scratch will affect image quality, so the lens is no good if the front element can't be removed.

You can see the element in this photo (it's not mine, but the same model lens).

Thanks,

Mikepost-4153-1116192387.jpg

Guest Ian Marks

I saw this on an Ebay auction recently and it raised a red flag for me - scratched filter my *%!

I've owned the same model lens. The front element of the 10mm Switar is indeed quite flat, and it's not removable except by a qualified lens technician. I would imagine that replacing the front element, if indeed a replacement is available, would be expensive.

I'm guessing that you're the winner of the auction I saw, and if so you might want to contact the seller about a refund.

I saw this on an Ebay auction recently and it raised a red flag for me - scratched filter my *%!

I've owned the same model lens. The front element of the 10mm Switar is indeed quite flat, and it's not removable except by a qualified lens technician. I would imagine that replacing the front element, if indeed a replacement is available, would be expensive.

I'm guessing that you're the winner of the auction I saw, and if so you might want to contact the seller about a refund.

I am indeed the lucker winner of that auction. :unsure: I was skeptical, too, but I couldn't see from his photo whether or not there was a filter on the lens and my student budget requires that I take risks, unfortunately. I think it was an honest mistake on the seller's part, and he's offerred me a refund. Still, it's frustrating because of the wasted time and money spent on shipping. Even more so because I'm scheduled to start shooting a project in two weeks and I haven't been able to land a working camera. I contacted duall camera and they said it would probably cost more to fix the lens than to buy another used one, and the glass is a special order item.

Guest Ian Marks

Ouch. At least it sounds like your seller is trying to be fair about things - that's a big help.

Ouch. At least it sounds like your seller is trying to be fair about things - that's a big help.

Yes, he's doing the right thing. I got estimates from two camera shops and they both said it would cost about $400 to replace the glass, less if the glass could be swapped out from another bum lense. They encouraged me to buy a new lens, which makes sense since they start at around $185 on eBay if they're in decent shape.