dislocated groundglass Vs. Framing

Mikael Lindström

Hi there!!!

I have a question about dislocated groundglasses for Arri SR3. If the groundglass is NOT inserted properly, until it clicks into its proper location.

-What would be the results when it comes to framing?

-Will the framing be far too high, way too much headroom?

-And would it be noticable through the IVS if you were shooting steadycam?

-If you´re framing for 1:1.33, will you still get the framing totally off or can you push the picture up or down if its going to television?

I know you can´t get the right focus thru the viewfinder, I´m just curious about the consequences concerning framing.

Regards Mikael.

It happened to me. The ground glass wasn?t seated properly, in fact it was loose. I think it was a camera body malfunction. Most of the time it was right. Every once in a while my framing would be way off. I almost caught it when I went hand held and I saw it move into place. I thought I was imagining it. Then I did a jib shot and bumped the camera and the ground glass moved. I saw it. We replaced the body with a new one. Fortunately the framing only affected a couple of shots. If you shoot long enough you will see all the goofy things you?ve only heard of. Twice I?ve had bugs crawling on the inside of the ground glass.