Film Festival Trailer with Superheroes

post-37408-0-77488800-1439569319_thumb.jpg

"28th Helsinki International Film Festival - Love & Anarchy Trailer: The Proposal."

I had an quite interesting opportunity to shoot a promo trailer for the Helsinki International Film Festival (Love & Anarchy) with a really interesting theme: Superheroes. Not an everyday assignment! I also got a chance to try out the set of old Lomo anamorphic lenses, and play with an Arri Alexa XT.

I would greatly appreciate your comments and thoughts, and would be happy to answer your questions as well. If the Vimeo embed won't work, you can view it here (my website).

Edited by Matti Eerikainen

I like it a lot, looks high quality. Did you shoot anamorphic? (Is written in your text, sorry about that question)

But I miss a color contrast in the lighting. Everything is tinted in this yellowish light. Maybe a blue light from the top when "batman" enters, would be nice. And for me the field sizes could vary a bit more. Maybe a long shot during the conversation.

Nonetheless for me it's a felicitous clip!

Martin

Edited by Martin M. Kloeckener

I like it a lot, looks high quality. Did you shoot anamorphic? (Is written in your text, sorry about that question)

But I miss a color contrast in the lighting. Everything is tinted in this yellowish light. Maybe a blue light from the top when "batman" enters, would be nice. And for me the field sizes could vary a bit more. Maybe a long shot during the conversation.

Nonetheless for me it's a felicitous clip!

Martin

Thank you, Martin. Creating the color contrast is a very important thing for me when I light or grade, and I often use gels to make it happen in camera. Creating or adjusting the color contrast in the grading suite is important as well: sometimes it's good to tint shadows a little cooler than midtones or highlights, and this way create a more three-dimensional image.. But! This time, however, my first feeling after reading the script was to push the color palette towards a very warm yellowish direction. I thought it might serve the story and give it a little "high class" dining hall feel, a bit glamour. At some point, after the location was found, I thought maybe we should give the scene a little bluish night-time push from the windows (cool blue or similar), but then I thought it would go against my first idea. And this time, I wanted to try out something that I wouldn't normally do. So, we approached the scene with this yellowish, tinted color palette knowing (actually, this is true!), that it might raise some controversy, but that would be ok as we had thought this thing over. It was an "artistic choice" ;)

About the shot sizes, I think you got a point in there as well. I think a few more close-ups might have been in need, but after all, it was an editor's and director's choice to cut it like this. For me, this pro bono job was a really nice opportunity to try out something special and also something new - that's why I didn't want to do something I've always done.

Thanks for your comment, it's always really nice to get some feedback.

Edited by Matti Eerikainen