HD vs 24p ???

Guest kjekkogpen_@hotmail.com

Guest kjekkogpen_@hotmail.com

I am a student filmmaker considering which camera to buy... I will mainly be shooting shorts and I am looking for the best camera for that purpose. I want a 'film-look' for my films, if you know what I mean....

But what is prefferable? HD or 24p? The cameras I am thinking about is the

Sony HDR-FX1 HDV vs DVX100A ??

I want to shoot in 16:9, so I guess you'd loose quality if you letterbox the DVX100A image? Which of the cameras offers the best 'cinematic look' ?

Thomas

I am a student filmmaker considering which camera to buy... I will mainly be shooting shorts and I am looking for the best camera for that purpose. I want a 'film-look' for my films, if you know what I mean....

But what is prefferable? HD or 24p? The cameras I am thinking about is the

Sony HDR-FX1 HDV vs DVX100A ??

I want to shoot in 16:9, so I guess you'd loose quality if you letterbox the DVX100A image? Which of the cameras offers the best 'cinematic look' ?

Thomas

24P cameras shoot at the 24 frame rate which is the standard film frame rate. The HDR-FX1 is an HDV camera that will give you very CRISP images that look like HD VIDEO. If your looking for a film look, you should go with a 24P camera. Your best bet is to find a camera rental house in your area and rent one of each before you make your investment. Make sure you have a credit card!

Good luck!

- - Justin

Edited by Justin Marx

To start off I would say HD and 24P describe three different things and cannot really be compared the way you have.

High Definition is a video format.

24 frame per second is a frame rate.

P is for progressive scan.

All of these are independent of each other. HD can be 24P, 30P, 60P. HD can be 50i or 60i.

I assume when you ask about 24P you mean the DVX-100 or the XL-2. What makes those cameras different is they record to miniDV, a different video format from HD. These cameras have no special claim to 24P, which is format agnostic.

HDV throws in a new set of variable because its CCD's record HD but lays to a miniDV tape. It does this through ridiculous amounts of compression, and does not record very clean 24 frames per second.

Between the Sony HDR-FX1 HDV vs DVX100A at this point I would still go with the DVX100A.