Typically preferred camera, Bolex SBM or EBM?

Struwwelpeter

I'm currently in the market for my first (electric) 16mm camera and have narrowed it down to these two Bolex models.

I'm wondering if anyone here with experience with these two camera's could share some pro's and con's of the two models to aid in my decision. I'm speaking in terms of quality and steadiness of footage, ease of loading, ease of use etc. Most of my work will be done using a tripod so versatility isn't so important.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Struwwelpeter

• 5 weeks later...

Obviously the SBM can be hand wound, which might come in useful if you're stranded in a jungle (that's my fantasy anyway).

The EBM... I haven't used one but it seems awkward somehow. Most people take off the battery handle and attach a separate battery pack, so you might as well go with the EL if you don't need to wind.

Also, I think the designs inside are about the same. I mean, with regards to registration and all that. ANd tobin motors are getting cheaper for the SBM.

To wind or not to wind!

Steven

Thanks for the reply Steven,

After all that, I actually wound up with a Rex-5 :P

I like the spring wound idea as I sometimes film in cold areas, in the woods etc so it would be a useful backup for sure.

I'm going for the Tobin TXM-20B motor with the TEC-20 Euroframe Controller. I don't need a silent camera but crystal sync is essential. It's why i feel these Bolex camera's are perfect for "music video" production.

I probably would have prefered an SBM but I got a really good deal on the Rex-5 that was hard to pass up. If it's good enough for Bob the Builder, it's good enough for me ;)

Take Care,

A.

Thanks for the reply Steven,

After all that, I actually wound up with a Rex-5 :P

Good choice imo.You can grow with the Rex V as you can afford motors,mags,lenses and such.The EBM cannot do single frame to my knowledge,unless someone here knows something I don't.All of the spring wound Bolexes can.To me,single frame is almost an essential feature in a non blimped,multi speed camera.

Good choice imo.You can grow with the Rex V as you can afford motors,mags,lenses and such.The EBM cannot do single frame to my knowledge,unless someone here knows something I don't.All of the spring wound Bolexes can.To me,single frame is almost an essential feature in a non blimped,multi speed camera.

You know, I can barely understand why anyone would choose an EBM over a Rex-5 or SBM. Apart from the fact it has a built in motor it appears far less versatile than any of these cameras AND from what I have seen usually costs more. You still need an external controller for crystal sync anyway and as you pointed out no single from nor 64fps.

IMO, I think the Rex-5 with the Switar prime set is one of the best sub $2000 16mm you can get, I paid only $1150us for mine and the Tobin motor only adds another $495 onto that. Bargain!

You know, I can barely understand why anyone would choose an EBM over a Rex-5 or SBM. Apart from the fact it has a built in motor it appears far less versatile than any of these cameras AND from what I have seen usually costs more.  You still need an external controller for crystal sync anyway and as you pointed out no single from nor 64fps.

IMO, I think the Rex-5 with the Switar prime set is one of the best sub $2000 16mm you can get, I paid only $1150us for mine and the Tobin motor only adds another $495 onto that. Bargain!

S,

That's funny. I wanted a rex 5 but I found a really good deal on an SBM so I wound up with one of those! SBM with the bayo mount is easier to do the conversion to Super, which I did but for now I'm just shooting regular anyway (ideally, SBM can switch back and forth). And my POE zoom had a little fungus so I ended up with primes anyway. (Seems like with ebay there is always something wrong with something). And I got the same Tobin motor you're talking about.

The bolex bayo mount is beautiful but sort of limited because there is only a very few switars that fit on it. They are very good lenses though, anywhere from the POE switar up to the PTL and other versions (pricey). Those zooms are a little big for handholding and travel though, so the primes are better for that. The zooms are still pretty fast though at 1.9! ANyway, you can also get adapters for c mount or PL mount... whatever.

Anyway, let me know how the camera works out.

Steven

I can't afford the super16 conversion at the moment as much as I'd love to, I can barely afford the film!

I'm going to run a test roll of 7217 through it in the next few weeks, I can post the resulting footage if you're interested.

Take Care,

A.