Filters for Bolex

Steven Budden

I have a Bolex SBM and am looking to start shooting. I am curious about filters. Are there some basic ones everyone should get their hands on?

My POE came with some red and blue tiffen glass filters for warming or cooling a scene. As I get more, should I get them for the POE or gelatin for behind the lens? I guess gelatin would be preferable because I could also use them for primes? Are gelatin filters still widely made? Also, how long do filters typically hold their color?

Thanks!

Steven

Hi,

As for behind the lens, Neutral density filters and #85 for using tungsten balanced film outdoors are pretty basic filters that you should have. However, even though it may be minimal, gelatin filters are not going to be as good as a high quality glass filter in front of the lens. Dust or imperfections may be noticeable on gel filters behind the lens. I'm not a big fan of filtration but if I had a choice of only one filter, it would be a polarizer. I think you'll find a lot of people would agree. It's the one filter I use more than any other for both nicer color saturation and reduced glare. As for gel filters loosing their color or degrading over time, somebody more qualified than myself would be better to give you an answer for that. I hpe this helps.

Aloha,

Jim

Guest Ian Marks

Just adding to what Jim said here - yeah, an 85 filter is your first priority, followed by neutral density filters, a polarizer, and then possibly a close-up diopter or two (I guess technically these aren't filters but lenses, but you know what I mean). You can pick up things like correction filters for shooting under fluorescents as the need arises, or when you spot a bargain.

There are also filters that combine an 85 filter with neutral density.