NYFA!?...

Guest mdcox

Has anyone been to the NYFA in LA? I am planning on going to thier 1 week course at the end of this month does any one have any ideas about this place?

www.nyfa.com

As always thanks for your help!

Regardless of what school it is, how could you possibly learn anything about film in one week? Attending anything (except a typing class) for only a week seems like a waste of money. I believe NYFA offers longer periods of classes which would make more sense to attend. If it is a money issue then I would recommend to save up or just get your schooling on films sets.

Guest mdcox
Regardless of what school it is, how could you possibly learn anything about film in one week?  Attending anything (except a typing class) for only a week seems like a waste of money.  I believe NYFA offers longer periods of classes which would make more sense to attend.  If it is a money issue then I would recommend to save up or just get your schooling on films sets.

It's not a money issue it's a time issue and there are lots of schools that are only two days. I figured I could get the basics down from it anyway. I;m not a starving student I have a company to run and can not be gone for much longer thatn that. <_<

It's not a money issue it's a time issue and there are lots of schools that are only two days. I figured I could get the basics down from it anyway. I;m not a starving student I have a company to run and can not be gone for much longer thatn that. <_<

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the basics. From what I've seen of the NYFA week-long courses, it's less cinematography concept etc, and more "this is how you make a film. Do this, and go film."

Definately read books before you go to make the week more rewarding

Guest nao_yoshino

Hey mdcox,

I'm currenly enrolled on the 1 Year Filmmaking program at NYFA, Los Angeles. I'm not familiar with the 1 week course you mentioned - could you be more specific? Does the course deal only with cinematography?

My experience of NYFA is that it's a good school for practical filmmaking. They give you a basic foundation from which you can build in whatever direction you want. It's great for people who can't/don't want to spend 3 years at more traditional schools (I fit into the can't category!)

I would agree, however, with the comments on this page - 1 week isn't a great deal of time. If you want a really intensive week, you may want to look at the workshops offered by one of our external NYFA instructors, Janusz Sikora.

http://lightextreme.com/

This guy taught me everything I know about cinematography and I'm now DP on almost all the thesis shoots in my thesis group. I strongly recommend it if money is not a big problem.

And yes, DO read up as much as you can before the course because it's probably the best way you can take advantage of such a relatively little amount of time!

Drop me an email you do decide to do the NYFA course and we can meet up if you like.

Nao

• 3 weeks later...

Last summer I did the one week AMC movie camp which I felt was a great crash-course in a lot of film making basics. I met Janusz Sikora and he taught me (I felt) a great deal to learn within a week.

I had a great experience doing this camp and I now have my own 4-minute short film that I made myself from the camp. This camp is something that helps one realize how much work it is in the film industry and how creative you must be to make a short, silent film. I learned a ton in a weeks time not only about some general stuff about film making but also about myself and what I am capable of doing in a creative environment.

I did the one-week camp because I didn't have the time or resources to put into a 4 week program. I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in this field.

• Premium Member

• 3 weeks later...