editing rig

Loretta Shigo

hi,

I am new to this forum.

I would like to know what folks are editing with.

I am looking at MAC G5 and am on the virge of buying and concidering the Dual Processor. I have a good price on the single processor, but I am unsure of spending the extra $$ if i won't need it. Can any one offer feedback about this?

I eventually want to be doing video of lengths to 60 minutes and want to enter festivals and do freelance work. Since this seems, at least right now, a lifetime purchase, do I bite the bullet and go for the dual?

Thanks and I look forward to learning from this forum.

Loretta

Hi,

I am looking at buying a G5 also. However I am hanging on for a few months because the rumours are that Apple are bringing out 3 new G5's. A new Dual 1.8Ghz, 2.2Ghz and a 2.4Ghz. It has also been rumoured that Apple are aiming to have their G5's up 2 the 3Ghz mark by 2005.

Best way is to find out when the next MacExpo is and wait until then. Apple will almost certainly announce them then, if they do. If they do bring three new G5's out the older three will come down in price significantly. Prob best waiting until then if I were you, I am.

As for software Final Cut Pro 4.0 is the industry standard.

Please do not quote me on this as it is just a rumour (www.macrumours.com).

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I understand why to start out with a dual processor is better, and that extra hard drives and memory can be added later, but I am not sure what the difference is between a 1.8GHz and a 2GHz. Is there really a difference between the two?

Re: new G5's in a few months. . . Hm m m m , to wait any longer, wonder how much longer?? I am just itching to start !! What to do in the meantime?

I am reading that Final Cut Express is a good starting point for the $$. . if I go for the big G5, won't have too much $$ left for FCP !!

I wouldn't worry so much about these micro-changes in processor speed. There's much more to the modern computer workstation than processor speed, or even single or dual processors. Look at a computer workstation as a point-in-time purchase. If you get a reasonably good one now it will last you five years (or more) and then you can upgrade again. Technology is always improving.

Remember that the gents who filmed and edited "The Last Broadcast" ( http://www.dvdreview.com/html/the_last_broadcast.shtml ) did so on a single-processor Pentium II 333Mhz with around 512MB RAM and only 30+GB of hard drive space (I'm pulling this from long-term memory -- someone correct me if I'm wrong). That's fractional compared to even the cheapest modern *new* computer workstation -- particularly a new Apple workstation. The 1.8Ghz G5 is like a Ferrari compared to the Volkswagen Bug they used for that film -- and they drove it all the way to Blockbuster Video.

If you work for yourself as an independent movie mogul you can afford to wait for your machine to render.

I've edited my last 3 short films (shot on film, transferred to DV) on a PentiumIII 700Mhz workstation, producing the same result (with a bit more waiting time) than the latest dual-processing workstations. It's all MiniDV -- if it's your movie, so what if you have to wait?

I totally agree, If you are itching to start then go for it, creativity is more important than speed. It's easy to get hung up on waiting for technology. I've been editing my films on an old G4 with FCP3, no one knows that it takes me a fraction longer to render than a G5 and when I'm inside the world of the film I dont care either. The only reason to hang on is if you really are considering starting some kind of Post business where you will have to "keep Up" with the competition. If your mainly wanting to create your own work stop waiting and go, Life is too short.....

The difference between the 1.8Ghz and the Dual 2.0Ghz (correct me if I'm wrong) is that in the 1.8 you have a 1.8Ghz processor, where as in the Dual 2.0 you get a 2.0Ghz processor and then you get another one (dual). Thus doubling your processing speed! At least that is the way I understand it. So in my opinion you are well worth waiting for the Dual 2 or the new Dual 1.8Ghz.

In the mean time carry on using your sturdy G4 which you can do realtime rendering still. Thing with the G5 is that you are looking at Apples top end computer. Yeh they'll depreciate in a few years and you'll want to get a new one, but you won't need one, you'll just think you do. The G5 is gunna be around for a long time. It is more than powerfull for what you and I want it for anyway.

The G5's are used as industry computers now because they cut down the time in distributing their work burning DVD's etc. Plus Mac's last forever anyway, you could have 3 PC's (P iece of C rap)in the time you have a mac. Well worth the wait and if you do (for the new ones), the longer you'll have ur comp for without wanting to replace it.

:)

Hi,

Thank you everyone for all your feedback. I really appreciate it.. . . and I did it!!

It's coming on Monday. a 1.8 dual processor, 160GB, 512MB x 2 G5. Whew !!!

I am a bit high about it !!! Feel I got a good deal. . Cleaning out my studio and making space for it !!!

The "Life's to short" was the kick in the pants. . . !!

(BTW, Meach, I don't have a G4, I am starting from scratch!!) Yes, I remember "The Last Broadcast", I think they were from my neck of the woods.

I picked up some VHS equipment for free and want to see if I can get it serviced.

One unit is a dbx digital processing unit, it's old, but it plays tape, though not great.

I am not sure what all it does, would like to get a manual.

I searched the web and emailed dbx and they sent me to someone who does not work on video units. The other unit is a Sony, and the big repair places, like Radio Shack, say to just throw away and buy new. Well, I would love to buy all new, but can't. . aren't there any old-fashioned work shop bench repair places out there any more? I hate throwing gear away that could be fixed and kept out of the landfill. Anyone have a favorite repair shop they bring stuff to?

Is there a spell check for when posting to this list? I am such a bad typist, it takes so long to go back and fix all the typos, and sometimes when I hit the backspace button, the whole page disappers and go back one page, and I lose my whole letter and have to start again!! Is there a fix for that?!!