Guest Jacobgroome

Guest Jacobgroome

Hey, I'm new to film making and I am trying to break into it. I don't have a lot of money... And I need to know what equipment to buy.... I have a budget of 1400 dollars... and I already have a kickin computer ready for editing. I need a shot gun mic, boom pole, lenses,a film camera, lighting.. specifically good yet cheap equipment. makes, models, prices that kind of stuff... Anything that would help me. I'm serious about film making and I need help. And if theirs anything else that I need for film making that I don't know about. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Jacob Groome

• Premium Member

Jacob,

It's unlikely you'll get many helpful responses here--or on any forum, for that matter. That budget neither buys or rents much and it's difficult to make any recommendations to a first time filmmaker because well, making films is hard work and a takes a certain level of experience for any kind of results beyond a typical "home movie" Maybe get involved in someone else's projects in your area or read some books about filmmaking or I don't know. Point is: even with seven years of interest/experience as a student filmmaker with pretty high end equipment and excellent mentors, I don't even feel ready to shoot a feature for someone else, more or less produce, write, cast, direct, and shoot my own movie. Good luck.

Brian

• Premium Member

I agree. If you want to get started in filmmaking or anything else for that matter in which you have little knowledge, it's not a good idea to run to the store and start buying things. There's much more to filmmaking that buying or using gear.

And saying you want good gear and don't have a lot of money to spend is a conflict. Granted you will be able to buy everything you need to make a movie with that amount of money, you are likely not to invest in any quality products.

You can learn by the trial and error method if you like, but I think there are more valuable things you can do with your time. Brian offers a good suggestion. Don't get me wrong, there are many things you could learn by buying gear and just shooting stuff. But it's not what I'd suggest.

Hey, I'm new to film making and I am trying to break into it.  I don't have a lot of money... And I need to know what equipment to buy.... I have a budget of 1400 dollars... and I already have a kickin computer ready for editing. I need a shot gun mic, boom pole, lenses,a film camera, lighting.. specifically good yet cheap equipment. makes, models, prices that kind of stuff... Anything that would help me. I'm serious about film making and I need help. And if theirs anything else that I need for film making that I don't know about. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Jacob Groome

I'm kind of in thew same boat as you, I've just paddled a little further.

I already own a camera (an Eclair NPR 16mm camera.) and I don't have enough money to buy film for it, and I don't have a DAT recorder to record sound. I do have a shot gun mike and a kickin' computer.

Take it from me, use some of that money and buy some filmmaking books and save the rest.