Illiterate Cinematographers

Mr.Row

I heard that 2 of the top Australian cinematographers are so dyslexic that they are basically functionally illiterate, can't remember exactly who, I think maybe Russel Boyd and McAlpine. They (whomever they actually are) have their wives read the scripts for them.

God knows what would happen these days if passing the SAT and getting a film degree were requisite accomplishments for people like this, oh wait....

• Premium Member

I have found that there is a higher than average proportion of dyslexic people in the film industry.

It is actually very good if you know that a person you are working with is dyslexic. I have had some bad experiences (wrong filters, run-outs), so now I always double check with them.

I have found that there is a higher than average proportion of dyslexic people in the film industry.

It is actually very good if you know that a person you are working with is dyslexic. I have had some bad experiences (wrong filters, run-outs), so now I always double check with them.

It's interesting indeed,many of these folks are very talented and they hide their handicap well,years of practice.I had to train a guy who was dyslexic,back when we shot with cameras and 3/4 inch decks.This guy is 6'4" and almost 300lbs (former linebacker with the New Orleans Saints),so no one wanted to ream him out when he twisted multi pin cable the wrong way.

After deciphering some of his notes,I could spot him for a dyslexic and it was easier then to train him.He's a very in demand doc and news shooter now.I get jealous sometimes.

Marty

My brother is dyslexic, so I know a bit about it.

I don't think it renders most completely unable to read, but it's a pretty bad handicap.

Mostly embarrassing, since they spell very poorly.

Tom Cruise is dyslexic by the way, and I'm pretty sure he reads his own scripts!

Matt Pacini

Again I must point out that this is an open forum the contents of which can be directly accessed from the web via search engines such as Google. To author unsubstantiated rumors and name any names can be harmful or embarassing to all involved. While dyslexia is not particularly a debilitating condition, labelling someone "functionally illiterate" can be quite hurtful.

While dyslexia is not particularly a debilitating condition, labelling someone "functionally illiterate" can be quite hurtful.

It's also innacurate.Most dyslexics I know can deal with their handicaps and read quite well.I had one dyslexic friend discribe it as being like a wall.You can't go through it,but you can go around it or over it.

Marty

I heard that 2 of the top Australian cinematographers

Perhaps the two you mentioned are the first two Australian names that came to mind. I think it's inappropriate to post a message this way and I'd ivite you to go back and edit the names out. (Can you do that on this list?)

Many people have already answered in the vein of 'some of my best freinds are dyslexic' ;) . Remember also that cinematography is one of the best examples of the combination of art and science: of creativity and discipline; or of left- and right-hemisphere brain function. Some cinematographers excel at composition, colour, tonal relationships, shapes: others at exposure, contrast control, reading depth of field tables etc. Some of the best are strong at both: others of the best are much better at one than the other. Most of them chose to express themselves in an image medium for a reason though.

Many years ago I knew a good, reliable, fast colour grader in a lab, who couldn't pass the Isahara test. He was legally colour blind, but could still do his job, well. Figure that one out!

On the other hand another person I knew (briefly) in a film lab was found to be quite illiterate some days after he was hired to work in chemical mixing. He just managed to tell one chemical label from another - but it was about as reliable as me reading Chinese upside down! He didn't last. Perhaps he went into cinematography :)