Minor rant about life

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

I used to play a lot of games when I was a kid. And when I was in middle school I thought I might be able to take some of my gaming experiences and put them up on the big screen. I actually wanted to be a scientist, but was intrigued by the idea of story media from games put on the big screen.

I was harassed and hounded to get off games throughout my life up until 2007 (if you can believe it), and the year before last at DundraCon in Pleasanton in the east bay (next to Livermoore) I spoke with the screenwriter for the first three seasons of Babylon-5.

His description of porting gaming experiences to screenplays is now standard practice. A thing which I first conceived of way back in 81 (though I'm sure I wasn't the only gamer to do so). And is in fact what I had been trying to do for the last ten years. So, given all of the interference in my life, which I've tried to keep off of these boards, I'm not really a happy camper.

I had people suggest I sell my house and enroll in the Art Institute of San Francisco's film and TV program, I had some DP here suggest I buy a book on set operations (when I actually worked as a grip and PA for ten years), and a number of other things that are annoying. I'm typically not very egotistical, and when I hear some advice that I've heard before I usually smile and thank that person before moving on. But I've had enough.

I had a lot of people helicopter parenting me from a distance (people I didn't know about), even people who were deeply embedded in the entertainment industry who, not only had no knowledge about games, not only had no knowledge about editing software coming out onto the market in the late 80s and early 90s, they had no real knowledge of camera technology and the future of independent films and media distribution via the net.

If you are ever contacted by someone and asked to help me, don't do it. Like anybody else I appreciate the helping hand if genuinely offered, and I think that's where I'll end this tirade.

I don't think I'm going to make much of myself in the local indy scene, but it'll be my own industry that sees whether I succeed or fail. That's pretty much all I want.

Sorry for eating up your time and wasting space on this forum for this post, but I felt it needed to be said.

Thanks to all the regulars who know me via this forum who have been helpful.