Lenses for Super-16 - Question

dm24ig

I've been considering converting my B&H 79DR to super-16. I'm pretty much a newb and I'm clueless about lenses. How can I tell exactly what kind of lens will fit the super-16 aperture? Is there a simple way of telling? If anyone can give me the rundown, I'd really appreciate it.

- Derek

The B&H camera is not an ideal one for conversion. You could probably pay someone to do it, but it's kind of like putting bike tires on a Audi S4. Also the turret or lens mount must be re-centered for the Super 16 frame. Also, if memory serves me the B&H doesn't have a TTL finder, so how will you see the Super 16 image?

My advice would be to get a better camera, or at least something that you would like to use for several years and one that can grow with you, before you drop all the change for the conversion (just my opinion). Try a K3, or a Bolex and you will be happy with your investment for a longer period of time.

Guest jeremy edge

"Also the turret or lens mount must be re-centered for the Super 16 frame. Also, if memory serves me the B&H doesn't have a TTL finder, so how will you see the Super 16 image?"

If it doesnt have a ttl viewfinder then there's no need to recenter the mount.There's a lot of guesswork involved with framing with this camera in the first place.I dont think having a super 16 frame will be much worse.

Be aware that you have to file the gate AND some of the extra metal around the gate opening or you'll get vignetting.

I say go for it if you plan on keeping the camera for your own use.if you plan on reselling or keeping it for a collector's item dont touch it.

As for lens...you may have to try out your lenses and do a test roll.

Supposedly the cheap ccd camea lenses sold on ebay that are 12.5mm are supposed to cover the super 16 frame.

I have to disagree, recentering the lens mount has nothing to do with viewing from the camera. It places the center of the glass into the center of the new frame. The 2mm that is added to the gate is split and the mount moved 1mm the recenter the lens (if I remember correctly). I guess you could get by without it, but why go through the S16 conversion if you are going to have an off-center lens and no finder?

"...but why go through the S16 conversion if you are going to have an off-center lens and no finder?"

Because you would then have a S16 camera for B camera pickup shots. Of course you have the problems listed above, but given a lens that covers the enlarged gate you are able to use existing equipment that would otherwise be useless and obsolete for any modern production.

Uh yeah...

I really don't know what you mean. A decent finder, a centered lens, and a proper camera are just as important for a b-camera as an a-camera. If you have money and film to waste, or you are just learning the ropes, fine. Don't expect to do much of anything high end though. I seriously doubt any professional would go out with a not TTL camera on a job that mattered. I know I wouldn't.

I return to my point, which is that this camera is just a bad one to modify. No more or less. If you going to mod a cheap camera, at least do it with one like a K3 or a Bolex so you can get a few accessories, maybe a decent lens or two, possibly get the camera service, and maybe be able to sell it when you outgrow it.

Because you would then have a S16 camera for B camera pickup shots. Of course you have the  problems listed above, but given a lens that covers the enlarged gate you are able to use existing equipment that would otherwise be useless and obsolete for any modern production.

I'm with you - I have a camera I paid $140 so i don't mind experimenting; and like you said, you'd have a nice little s16 camera for b camera pickup shots and especially for those tight situations, if all goes well. Of course, you would have to just compensate for the centering issue when shooting, but you pretty much have to anyway with a filmo, right? If I had the money to buy a modified bolex or K3 I'd do it. Thats the point here, its a simple home job that'll save you alot of money and theres really not much to lose. Have you seen what people are charging for s16 conversions? I'm far from being a professional, but poop, you gotta start somewhere.