Chapman Graduate Film School

I am a grad thesis student in Chapman University's film production program. I enrolled in 2001, and though I finished my required classwork before Chapman switched its curriculum to that of a conservatory, I am currently working on my own master's thesis, and I think I can still answer many of the questions regarding the film school based on my experiences there.

ultimately, when choosing a program, it comes down to personal choices, based on what info you have at the time and what you feel your basic needs are. i came from a background in fine arts studio, and extensive film and art history. i wanted to see if i could feel the same creative satisfaction in making narrative film, as well as gaining more knowledge and practical experience, as well as hoping to narrow what area within film I would like to pursue. because of that, i chose chapman. at that time, chapman was a smaller program, but did not require you to choose your emphasis (say in directing or cinematography) when you entered. i personally really love attending private school because of smaller classes and more individual time with professors. i also chose chapman because everyone gets to make their own thesis film, and you own your film when it is complete...not every film program works that way.

as at any school, there are great professors and not-so-great professors. personally, i have never had trouble finding mentors that have a very positive impact on myself and my work. there are amazing classes and ones that sounded good in the catalogue but left you wondering why you paid for it. i've been impressed by the efforts of classmates, and also sorely disappointed in them. but ultimately, it comes down to you...how much serious energy and effort you are willing to put into assignments, seeking and working on projects outside the classroom, communicating with professors and classmates, and finding/pursuing what it is you love about film and working to develop an understanding of the cinematic language as a form of storytelling, expression, and craft. i think that attitude is very important to making any film school or film work experience truly worthwhile.

I am now in pre-production of my thesis film.

Best Wishes

im a junior in hs, ive heard alot of great things about chapman university, i use to want to get into USC or UCLA for film, but i realized that they are just names and it doesnt mean that you will have a good experience or learn alot(also i could never get in i have a wicked bad gpa). A year ago i found out about chapman and i was like wow this seems like it would be a better school for me, smaller classes and 50-75% of people tryign to get in do. its also in a great location and it seems the actual film program is very good. I really want to go there, but i am also going to look at other schools too. thanks for your info :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Videonewbie56

ya man thanks a bunch for the info 2 i never new the extent of chapmans film clases before and i never would think of it as a choice for my persuit in filming but i think now i might look into it :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The new film school being built at Chapman is going to be pretty amazing, I think.

"Marion Knott Studios: Scheduled to open in 2006

· A brand new, 76,000-square-foot facility.

· A 500-seat theater with digital cinema and 35 mm projection.

· All digital post-production.

· Networked digital storage.

· Sound stages and shop facilities.

· Graphics and digital post-production labs.

· A wide collection of DVDs and scripts for study.

· A backlot slated for the next construction phase. "

Dodge College of Film at Chapman

I know that a lot of AFI faculty have joined with the current Chapman film department in building the new school. I think it will be the updated and more evolved place to study, because LA is built and the colleges have not much room to grow, except in curriculum. Chapman being in Orange County is as close as you can get to Film, beyond it's LA home. And the new programs seem more involving with the industry greats not just as guest speakers, but also as teachers. My younger sister is thinking of going to Chapman Film. I can't believe she would want anything to do with film. Having had to go through my making all of my films, she would fill in where any person didn't show up. From making costumes, building sets, acting to just holding something and then cleaning it all up. But she wants to study film, and I want the best for her, of course, so I am encouraging Chapman. Not just because I go there, but because the new Dodge School is even better.