50 foot magazines for 16mm

Guest Michael Carter

Guest Michael Carter

While looking through my boxes, I found that I have 4 of the 16mm 50 foot film magazine in with three Cine Kodak cameras. Two of the mags have film, one KII and the other looks purple so it must be Plus X. They show how the mags are to be loaded.

Also, on eBay, Java is selling lots of the mags with usable film in them!! And he processes them!!

In my celler are 6 or more 16mm magazine load cameras.

I wonder if I should actually use them for live action film making.

Does anyone else use them?

How or where do you have the film processed? It seems to be pretty expensive to have done.

Does anyone use the LOMO tank at home for 50 foot loads?

I might do that because one of the Kodak Royal cameras actually runs very quietly and smoothly. The other two are very noisy and irregular. Some of those cameras in the other pile may also run smoothly enough to use outdoors.

They were all collected for animation classes in public schools and have single frame so it did not matter how they ran full speed.

Michael Carter

Guest Michael Carter
In my celler are 6 or more 16mm magazine load cameras. ... Some of those cameras in the other pile may also run smoothly enough to use outdoors.

They were all collected for animation classes in public schools and have single frame so it did not matter how they ran full speed.

EDIT, those cameras in the basement are 8mm not 16mm. I also have several 8mm magazines but that is another matter.

There was ONE 16mm, a Bell & HOwell with a three lens turrett and finders. It works nicely enough for live action and it also has single frame. Now I have a C mount camera to use with 50 foot magazines. Now where is that Angenieux 120...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

That is the film for sale in 50 foot magazines, I bought some and now am able to load 400 feet, fill my pockets, and shoot with a tiny 16mm camera.

Edited by Michael Carter

I've bought some of these old Alan Gordon magazines, from both Alan Gordon and Java Photo. Generally they work fine. If your camera makes weird noises you may have to pull the magazine and manually advance the film in the gate a little in order to get it to catch.

I think these little magazine cameras are great, and they are cheap as dirt on eBay. The Bell & Howell 200's are the civilian version of WWII gun cameras used in fighter planes. They are the smallest 16mm cameras you're likely to find, and very sturdy. Drop it? Just pick it up, dust it off and keep shooting. They are Regular 16mm only, but you can buy a hundred of these for the price of an Ikonoscop.

I've bought some of these old Alan Gordon magazines, from both Alan Gordon and Java  Photo.  Generally they work fine. If your camera makes weird noises you may have to pull the magazine and manually advance the film in the gate a little in order to get it to catch.

I think these little magazine cameras are great, and they are cheap as dirt on eBay. The Bell & Howell 200's are the civilian version of WWII gun cameras used in fighter planes. They are the smallest 16mm cameras you're likely to find, and very sturdy. Drop it? Just pick it up, dust it off and keep shooting. They are Regular 16mm only, but you can buy a hundred of these for the price of an Ikonoscop.

I own a B&H 200ee which is a nice solid little camera. I never shot any film on it, but I do have 10 empty mags that I was going to attempt to load myself. Keep in mind that these magazine use double perf only film, which is getting harder and harder to come by. I have some photos of the film path and notes on how to do this somewhere if anyone needs them. I considered buying some already loaded mags but I just can't justify the price.

Guest Michael Carter
I have some photos of the film path and notes on how to do this somewhere if anyone needs them. 

Kodak sells 2R PlusX reversal that could be used in the mags. I plan on getting some of that.

I could use the instructions if you can find them.

Michael Carter

Kodak sells 2R PlusX reversal that could be used in the mags. I plan on getting some of that.

I could use the instructions if you can find them.

Michael Carter

Here's the photo of the correct film path of the mag:

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/galler...m2/magazinepath

You need to do this in complete darkness. I just got a changing bag and have been practicing with some old double perf film - I almost have it down. The only problem I envision is I think the 50' film I have is supply on its own core, so I'll have to get the film onto the magazine's supplied core to use it. Since I won't be able to see exactly what this looks like on the unexposed film, it may be tricky. Anyone know how to transfer a roll of film onto another core in total darkness/changing bag?

- Derek

Guest Michael Carter
Here's the photo of the correct film path of the mag:

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/galler...m2/magazinepath

You need to do this in complete darkness.  I just got a changing bag and have been practicing with some old double perf film - I almost have it down.  The only problem I envision is I think the 50' film I have is supply on its own core, so I'll have to get the film onto the magazine's supplied core to use it.  Since I won't be able to see exactly what this looks like on the unexposed film, it may be tricky. Anyone know how to transfer a roll of film onto another core in total darkness/changing bag?

- Derek

Thanks for the picture.

There is a thread on filmshooting about this topic where I posted how to make a core spinner. AND the 50 foot article that was on ftp filmshooting tells a little about a core loader. If you don't have a copy let me know and I'll give you the address.

Thanks for the picture.

There is a thread on filmshooting about this topic where I posted how to make a core spinner. AND the 50 foot article that was on ftp filmshooting tells a little about a core loader. If you don't have a copy let me know and I'll give you the address.

ok, thanks, I'll look for the thread. I'll let you know if I can't find it.

- Derek

Guest Michael Carter

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gallery/forum2/50fta

here are the pages just uploaded; I forgot we could put photos there.

50fta,b, and c.

Press the advance arrows to view a focus finder for a Cine Kodak Royal camera, the next three pictures.

I'll have to photograph my device and load it as well.

Edited by Michael Carter

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/...9926c35ca0e8831

There is the thread.

I've posted pictures of instructions to load magazines, a focus finder, and pictures of a home made core winder. 9 pictures in all.

Thats a nice winder - Think I'll try to make one of those. I have 2 50' film rools in the fridge waiting to be used with my B&H 200ee.

Thanks,

Derek

Guest Michael Carter
Thats a nice winder - Think I'll try to make one of those.  I have 2 50' film rools in the fridge waiting to be used with my B&H 200ee.

Thanks,

Derek

Now I have 5 of PlusX negative in my frig thanks to Java (and Gorden)

Guest Michael Carter

Does anyone have a winder loader like from the old days they would sell to me? Chambless never answered and they were listed in the magazine article.

I got a Skoal can and a old 35mm film can and will attempt to make a daylight loader out of them.