Development issues

Nate Downes

I sent 50' of Plus-X to Fairlawn NJ.... twice now. A test run of a new camera. Both times, they sent it back saying that Kodak does not process it. Yet, whenever I call them, they go "Sure do". So which is it, do they process Plus-X or not? I shot the roll almost 3 months ago, I'd like to know if my camera works right or not.

• Premium Member

Why aren't you sending motion picture film to a motion picture lab, rather than Kodak's (Qualex) comsumer film labs? I don't know about Fairlawn, but many consumer film labs don't process long continuous rolls. I didn't even know Qualex still offered processing of silver-image B&W films.

Kodak has an on-line directory of labs and the services they offer:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/industry...=0.1.4.11&lc=en

Perhaps whomever you talked to thought you were asking about chromogenic B&W film for the C-41 process?

Why aren't you sending motion picture film to a motion picture lab, rather than Kodak's (Qualex) comsumer film labs? I don't know about Fairlawn, but many consumer film labs don't process long continuous rolls. I didn't even know Qualex still offered processing of silver-image B&W films.

Kodak has an on-line directory of labs and the services they offer:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/industry...=0.1.4.11&lc=en

Perhaps whomever you talked to thought you were asking about chromogenic B&W film for the C-41 process?

Probably sounds weird, but I wanted to try and keep the money I would be spending within Kodak. Buy the film from Kodak, develop with kodak. I'm very much a one-stop-shopping kind of guy. Alsok, as the film broke in the cart, by sending to Kodak I was hoping that they could find out if the film, the cart, or my camera was to blame for the films breaking. But, it is facinating in that when I call the Fairlawn lab, they assure me that yes, they do handle processing the film, but when I send it they claim ignorance. Of course, it is even more facinating what they do when they return it. Once it was in a Yesvideo bag stating "not developed, cannot transfer" and the next time they included a little slip stating "we cannot process this film due to it's age." My films expiration is in June of this year. But the thought that they could have been confused over B&W vs Color, that could be the case indeed, hadn't thought of that.

Well, at least I know not to try a 3rd time, just quite confused that's all.

I'd also highly suggest Kodak update that list, the labs I've contacted that are listed in Florida do not develop Super8 film, only 16mm or greater. (I use the one in Miami for my 16mm work)

You misunderstood. John didn't mean color vs. BW

but regular BW vs. c-41 BW

there are some black and white still films that use regular c-41 processing.

In fact here is what probably happened.

If they said over the phone that they process Plus-x then they

probably do,but not motion picture Plus-x but still Plus-x.

It comes in both motion picture and still version.

I think this was the source of confussion.

I don't ever remember Kodak/Fairlawn processing B&W reversal.

I like Forde Labs in Seattle for this, but I don't know if they do Super 8.

-Sam

I've looked at Forde before. If they weren't on the utter opposite end of the country, I'd consider them. But, literally, I'm closer to Europe than to Forde.

That's what "Priority Mail" is for. Whether you are mailing your film across the city or across the country isn't that different. Just be sure it is clearly labelled as unprocessed film.

Yeah, good point. I'm just a penny pincher at heart I suppose.