workshops, Rockport, ME

Was wondering if anyone here had any first hand accounts of the workshops at Maine. They sound really good - especially for someone who's been working a while without a 3/4 yr degree to come in an learn exactly what one wants too. 'Fill the gaps'. Also seems more industry centered !

I went to one of the seven day summer courses two years ago, and it was one of the best weeks of my life, I can say without hesitation. But I've only been to one. They're very community-oriented, and it's a total-immersion thing, so you'll be working, breathing, and eating with your peers like 12-16 hours per day.

In my case, it was about 1/3 lecture, 2/3 hands-on. We did everything from day-for-night to interviews to action sequences. And I got some exposure with tools I'd never used before, too.

If you have an extra day or two before or after, that's an absolutely beautiful part of the country to explore and photograph on your own, as well. I unfortunately had to drive up there from the Portland airport in the middle of the night, but on the daytime trip back to Portland, I stopped in just about every small town along the way and shot several rolls.

• Premium Member
I went to one of the seven day summer courses two years ago, and it was one of the best weeks of my life, I can say without hesitation.  But I've only been to one.  They're very community-oriented, and it's a total-immersion thing, so you'll be working, breathing, and eating with your peers like 12-16 hours per day.

In my case, it was about 1/3 lecture, 2/3 hands-on.  We did everything from day-for-night to interviews to action sequences.  And I got some exposure with tools I'd never used before, too. 

If you have an extra day or two before or after, that's an absolutely beautiful part of the country to explore and photograph on your own, as well.  I unfortunately had to drive up there from the Portland airport in the middle of the night, but on the daytime trip back to Portland, I stopped in just about every small town along the way and shot several rolls.

I've been dying to take one of those courses. I've heard very positive things about them. Plus, I love it up there.

Yes, it was Advanced Lighting for Video with Rob Draper, ACS.

Even though it was video, nearly everything was done by meter. I only looked through the viewfinder for composition, and almost never at a monitor. We'd rate the camera, establish its exposure lattitude, create a lighting plan, then rely on filter factors, scrims, nets, etc. mathematically to get the ratios and colors we'd planned. We'd simultaneously shoot stills on reversal slide film as well. I also remember doing some poor-man's process car shots and several night scenes.

I dunno if he's still an instructor there or not, but he lives in the area, and his site is: northernlightfilms.com.