Marking/etching ground glass??

Yemi Adesanya

Hi There.

I have plans to shoot 16:9 with my Beaulieu R-16 by simply cropping the 4:3 image. To help me, I would like to get the 16:9 frame lines marked on the ground ground glass. A Beaulieu camera technician was nice enough to ship an R-16 ground glass unit to me so I can get it marked up before he services my camera.

Someone has already offered to mark the ground glass using a pencil for $75. Is this a typical charge for such work? Will the result be satisfactory? Are there any alternatives I could use? I have heard mention of glass etching too. Using a pencil to draw lines on the glass doesn't seem too difficult to me.....please give me your opinion/advice.

-----

Yemi

Hi There.

I have plans to shoot 16:9 with my Beaulieu R-16 by simply cropping the 4:3 image. To help me, I would like to get the 16:9 frame lines marked on the ground ground glass. A Beaulieu camera technician was nice enough to ship an R-16 ground glass unit to me so I can get it marked up before he services my camera.

Someone has already offered to mark the ground glass using a pencil for $75. Is this a typical charge for such work? Will the result be satisfactory? Are there any alternatives I could use? I have heard mention of glass etching too. Using a pencil to draw lines on the glass doesn't seem too difficult to me.....please give me your opinion/advice.

-----

Yemi

Yeah, when I was getting my bolex converted to super someone said just mark the ground glass with a pencil. They said that it worked like a charm, and I guess you might be able to clean it off if you screwed up?

But $75 doesn't seem too pricey to me, not when motion picture camera services are usually way over priced, due to lack of work volume I guess.

Steven

Hi Yemi. :)

Bjorn Andersson has my R16 now, or will have when it arrives in Sweden. Maybe he can do my 16:9 viewfinder marking while he is cleaning/fixing my viewfinder and servicing the camera?

I'm also curious about modifying or marking a standard Bolex sidefinder for the S16 frame, either for cropping or for a potential DIY Super 16 mod.