New to Super8 with Agfa Moviexoom

Robert J. Fox

Hello, I'm new to the forum and Super8. I just bought an Agfa Superxoom 10 to get started. I'm excited about cinematography and how it will influence my photography - I'm an experienced freelance photographer shooting mostly location editorial potraiture with medium format film (Graflex Super D, Rolleiflex, etc.). I love traditional film and will never stop shooting it. Super8 looks like a lot of fun!

Looking forward very much to shooting some B&W super 8. Any "must know" advice to a new user? Great forum btw! :D

R.J. (Wash DC)

• 5 months later...

Hello Robert!

How are things working out with your Movexoom 10 ?

I just got hold of such a camera myself (and I'm also new to super-8 filmmaking)

But I'm wondering about what film stocks one might use with this camera.

The K40 is not easy to get to anymore, and it doesn't take Ektachrome 64T does it ?

I'm thinking about filming a lot of black & white as well, Plus-X and Tri-X (if this is possible).

Have you experimented with your camera ?

I would be happy to hear about your experiences...

Agfa greetings from Karl.

I don't know this particular camera but they "take" any of the avvailable stocks as long as they are in the 50 foot cartridge. What you might be worried about is whether the camera reads the cartridge properly. Look in the top right corner of the film compartment, above the gate, and see how many pins are there. The more the better. If there is only 1 pin, the camera will read the Tri-X properly, and the K40, but that's about it. If you have manual exposure control, however, you can override the meter and set the exposure where you like. The key in this case is to know what the camera thinks is going on and compensate accordingly.

For example, if you load tri-x, you get an accurate reading. You now know what Plus X SHOULD be (1 stop difference) so see what the Plus X reading gives you, compare that to what it should be, and you know how far it is "out". Adjust accordingly.

That feels muddled. Hope it helps.

Rick

Thanks Rick!

Your information helped a lot!

You are correct about the Movexoom, it has got only one notch, placed at 0,5 inches from the gate, so according to your theory (and the notch ruler) this camera can read

Tungsten 160 and Daylight 100 in addition to the K40. (?)

Am I right about this ?

So this would mean that the Tri-X , being a daylight 200 and tungsten 160 film can be used in the movexoom ONLY as tungsten (the camera switched to tungsten and no filters applied)

With other film stocks I would have to use the manual override in order to get the right exposure...,

and then perhaps try to use film stocks with an ASA-level close to either 160 Tungsten, 100 Daylight or 40 Daylight.(?)

I found some information from agfa that the movexoom 10 reads

Daylight 15 and 21 DIN which is ...25 and 100 ASA

Tungsten 17 and 23 DIn which is...40(?) and 160 (?) ASA

?

Would this mean that I also could use a 100 ASA film (without manual exposure) such as Plus-X ?

(Plus X 100 daylight, 80 tungsten)

Am I on the right track here or am I totally in the dark ?

All first aid is welcomed!, thanks... :)

Perhaps even I will grasp this one day, but then..perhaps not...? :unsure: