25p Shutter Settings

Achim Girnth

Hi everybody,

finally going to do my first project in 25p after a lot of "classical" 50i Work. The final Product will be on TV, but possibly a Film-Out could or would be done. So getting the right settings might be tricky!

In my first tests, I reduced detail and worked with pHalfShut ON. As I am used to 16mm, the results with panning and motion were quite good BUT:

The strobe effect looks worse than on film!

So I switched pHalfShut OFF. Now strobing was ok, BUT motion blur was much too high. *sigh*

After searching the forums for quite a while, I got to the point of using the SYNCHRO SCAN Feature and trying several settings between 1/25th and 1/50th sec. for the shutter. Settings between 1/35th and 1/40th produced reasonable results with a good compromise between motion blur and strobing even in fast pans and action zooms. So I could live well with these settings BUT:

Are these settings allowed for Film-Out?

Could there be any other unforseen problem?

Has anyone of you guys out there already tried this procedure?

I think the results are quite compareble on NTSC 24p, so I would highly appreciate any comments on the procedure I am using.

By the way: Under "normal" lighting conditions I always work with the L setting set to -3db in order to achieve less depth of field. Has anyone else experience with that setting?

At the end of my testing phase I will share the settings and some parts of the footage with you, so let´s get in touch ...

Achim

• Premium Member

I have shot extensively with the SDX-900 in 24P, and have always found a 1/48th sec shutter yielding good results for most scenarios.

What stop did you shoot the tests at? What were your detail settings? The less depth of field you have and the more parts of the frame that are out of focus will generally decrease your perception of strobing. (I don't know if the PAL version of the camera has the V.RES selector, if it does you should make sure it's set to PROGRESSIVE if you plan to upres or film out.) I personally keep the detail low, between 1 and 8 for both V and H depending on the glass.

Keep in mind that the -3 dB setting is totally user customizable, so whether its "good" or not depends on how you've set it up.

I'm sure that the slower shutter speeds you describe would be fine for film out. If you're happy with the increased motion blur, then that's what you'll see in the final film product.

J

I have shot extensively with the SDX-900 in 24P, and have always found a 1/48th sec shutter yielding good results for most scenarios.

What stop did you shoot the tests at?  What were your detail settings?  The less depth of field you have and the more parts of the frame that are out of focus will generally decrease your perception of strobing.  (I don't know if the PAL version of the camera has the V.RES selector, if it does you should make sure it's set to PROGRESSIVE if you plan to upres or film out.) I personally keep the detail low, between 1 and 8 for both V and H depending on the glass.

Keep in mind that the -3 dB setting is totally user customizable, so whether its "good" or not depends on how you've set it up.

I'm sure that the slower shutter speeds you describe would be fine for film out.  If you're happy with the increased motion blur, then that's what you'll see in the final film product.

J

Hi John,

Tests were shot wide open (2.8), VRES was Progressive, H and V Detail was 5 which looks good on my not so "prime" lens ...

My -3 setting helps me to loose depth of field even in bright sunlight so I am quite happy with it. I will go on with the slow shutter and report what happend.

Thanks for your comments.

cu

Achim