Buying double perf (2R) film?

Evan Kubota

How does one order film directly from Kodak at all?

Most websites have the option to select one or two perf... well, not most, but many of the ones I've been looking at. I'd think it was a pretty stock item still, so price and time should be about the same.

Steven

Guest Michael Carter

They told me it comes from Denver and takes a while.

Call a Kodak rep and ask.

Someone said here that it is sold in SF...

Action Camera

That was from Steven in my thread about I just want a good camera.

Edited by Michael Carter

Yes, I called Kodak today. The woman informed that it had been discontinued and insisted that it wasn't available even by special order. Anyway, even if it is nominally available through Kodak, I don't want to go through a battle each time I need to get some. Looks like I'll probably be converting my camera soon.

Steven B: what websites are you looking at? I'd appreciate links. Film Emporium has only single perf, from what I can tell.

To order direct from Kodak, the number is 1 800 621 FILM (3456).

Calling a rep might have better results re: the availability of 2R film than calling the order line, but I'm not sure how to get in touch with them.

They told me it comes from Denver and takes a while.

Call a Kodak rep and ask.

Someone said here that it is sold in SF...

Action Camera

That was from Steven in my thread about I just want a good camera.

Actually I said that. I bought some from Action camera here in SF and it came two perf without me even asking!

Steven

• Premium Member
Does anyone know what special ordering 2R film from Kodak entails? How long does it take, cost, availability, etc.?

It's in the catalog for selected films, and in most cases is a stocked item:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...amerafilm04.pdf

Thanks for the link to the catalog, John - I had been looking for that PDF for a while on the Kodak site and couldn't find it - when it came to availability and roll length, the specific emulsion pages kept referring to the general catalog, which I couldn't find.

The catalog does indicate that Plus-X 7265 Reversal is a stocked item in 100' loads, which is exactly what I'm looking for. However, when I called the 1-800 number this afternoon, the woman said that 2R films were discontinued completely as of 2003, and insisted that there was no way to obtain them. She also said they had 'received lots of calls from students about the 2R films'. Should I just refer to the product number from the catalog?

• Premium Member
Thanks for the link to the catalog, John - I had been looking for that PDF for a while on the Kodak site and couldn't find it - when it came to availability and roll length, the specific emulsion pages kept referring to the general catalog, which I couldn't find.

The catalog does indicate that Plus-X 7265 Reversal is a stocked item in 100' loads, which is exactly what I'm looking for. However, when I called the 1-800 number this afternoon, the woman said that 2R films were discontinued completely as of 2003, and insisted that there was no way to obtain them. She also said they had 'received lots of calls from students about the 2R films'. Should I just refer to the product number from the catalog?

If a catalog number or item has been discontinued, it should have been listed here:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...=0.1.4.17&lc=en

That on-line catalog (.pdf) was last updated March 1, 2005, so it should be current.

I ordered Plus-X 2R today...but they only had 2 reels <_<

It's going to ship from Colorado, apparently. I had to give the telephone operator the CAT number and insist that it was listed as stocked in the catalog, as she immediately said all double perf was discontinued.

Any idea what the stock situation is? Will more Plus-X become available?

Guest Michael Carter
Any idea what the stock situation is? Will more Plus-X become available?

I called Kodak and ordered some Plus-X and tried to get 2R at the same time.

It seems that there is NO special order restrictions on that product (2R-2994). IE: Kodak PLUS-X Reversal Film 7265, Perforated two edges, 16mm x 100 ft spool, winding B, cat. 1390723

However, there IS a minimum order of 5 rolls for them to add the second set of holes. They are $20.59 each or just over $100 and it'll take 10 days to do it.

Not bad at all. They do not have any 2R in stock, anywhere. No problem to make more though. You just have to buy 5 and wait a little longer for Colorado to make up your order. Cool. Now, I can use my Keystone again.

I did buy one 1R each of PLUS-X and TRI-X. The H16T needs to be tested first.

Michael Carter

Guest Michael Carter
Kodak doesn't "add the second set of holes" --- different perforating machines are used.

Sorry about that, I heard someone use that phrase.

The next question would be, would Kodak do the same for TRI-X? Plus-X IS listed as 2R in the catalog but not Tri-X, or many others. Could any other film be made 2R upon special request?

• Premium Member
Sorry about that, I heard someone use that phrase.

The next question would be, would Kodak do the same for TRI-X? Plus-X IS listed as 2R in the catalog but not Tri-X, or many others. Could any other film be made 2R upon special request?

If it is not a catalog listed item, or at least a FTO (finish-to-order) item, you would have to negotiate establishing a special order with your sales rep. In most cases, a large minimum order would be the starting point in the negotiation. Only a few older or specialized use (high speed / instrumentation) cameras still require film perforated 2R, so the film choices are more limited, based on the sales history.