The Toronto Film School

I worked as a producer for CTV for five years at the main office at 401 and McCowan. Not one single graduate of the Toronto Film School came through the place that I know of.

I worked at TMN for a year also, and I didn't bump into a single Toronto Film School graduate there either.

Nor have I met a grad of this program on any film shoot any place in Southern Ontario.

What does all this mean? Maybe nothing. But this program certainly does not have a high profile nor does it seem to get its graduates well placed in the industry. After sitting through over 100 post sessions at Toronto post houses I've never even heard this place brought up in conversation.

So I'd be cautious if I where you. Look at the jobs advertised in Playback, so many of them ask for a university degree in communications or a related field. The Toronto Film School can't grant you a four year degree.

Let's face it, eating on what you might earn as a guy who works on film sets in TO will be tough. It's very tough now for the pros who have been doing it for years. The TO industry is 100% reliant on US shows shooting in TO, there is no home grown Canadian film industry. As the US dollar continues to crumble, and drive up the Canadian dollar, the work in film in TO crumbles as well.

I say this because you will most likely end up working for a Toronto TV station or cable operation upon graduation from any program. If you can find any job period. You'll be competing against the guys with four year degrees from Ryerson and York.

R,

Are you 100% sure about that?

The web site posts the following address:

International Academy of Design & Technology - Toronto

39 John Street

Toronto, ON   M5V 3G6

But there is a picture of the main lobby of the CBC building on their home page, no idea why that is? I find it hard to believe you will attend classes each day at the CBC bldg?

The Toronto Film School is run by the International Academy Of Design at 39 John St. It's most likely that you will attend classes there. Did they actually tell you you will go to the CBC bldg each day?

I tell you one thing it's clear from the pictures of the people on their web site who they are trying to attract. Young people who think it would be "cool" to work in the entertainment industry. So hand over your money. I guess a place like this attracts a lot of tattoo and body pierced types.

R,

• Premium Member

Jason,

If you look up the International Academy of Design and Technology, you will find that it is a US company with operations in several American cities as well as one operation in Canada, specifically Toronto. The IADT claims to be a first-class school for a whole raft of skills, filmmaking being just one of them. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but there does not appear to be a central website for this outfit, just individual sites for certain of its locales. It isn't clear whether IADT owns and operates all of its schools or is some kind of franchise operation. Its Toronto Film School site does not contain the kind of information that one would expect from a legitimate college, and on the other hand contains no shortage of puffery and hype. If you call the CBC public relations office in Toronto, I am as certain as I can be that they will tell you that they have nothing to do with this company. From the IADT info that I was able to see on the web in the last few minutes, I wouldn't touch this place with a 100 foot pole. If you haven't already looked at the legit Toronto colleges, check them out. There are some good people at those schools who are genuinely interested in teaching, and who have the commitment to help you get where you want to go.

As a student at the Toronto Film School, already 9 months into the Film & Television Program, I can say, it's much more then I expected. If you have some free time, visit the school, through the entrence on John and Wellington, and ask for a tour. Check it out for yourself. The School takes up the entire 8th floor of the CBC Building, as well as a porition of the main floor.

So Franco C, tell us where you plan on working once you finish at the Toronto Film School? How will you make a living?

So they are in the CBC building, ok that question has been answered. Renting out the space to the Toronto Film School is I'm sure the only way the other wise useless CBC can make any money. I'm sure it's pretty quiet in there now considering they are on strike!!

R,

francoc, what kind of equipment do they have and do the teachers have as much experience as they say they do?

any info you could provide me would be great. i'm open minded about what school to go to at the same time i want to learn as much as possible.

• Premium Member
tell us where you plan on working once you finish at the Toronto Film School?  How will you make a living?

Couldn't the same be asked of any student, at any school, in almost any industry, and with the same response?

"Couldn't the same be asked of any student, at any school, in almost any industry, and with the same response? "

Actually no.

Reasons.....

1) If you go to medical school and graduate you are GUARANTEED a good job at a high rate of pay. Film schools are about as far removed from that scenario as the earth is from Pluto.

2) Why do people attend "cut rate/quickie" film schools? They think they can get further ahead by paying a lot less money and get out in a shorter time. As I mentioned in my first post, I spent six years in the Toronto industry as a working professional and never ONCE bumped into a Toronto Film School grad. So I think any one considering going there should have an idea with regard to their future prospects.

R,

• Premium Member
The School takes up the entire 8th floor of the CBC Building, as well as a porition of the main floor.

That isn't the question. The question, which arises from how Jason interpreted the Toronto Film School's web site, is whether the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is somehow associated with this school. On that subject, I'll repeat what I said earlier. If one calls the CBC public affairs office, I am as certain as I can be that they will say that they have nothing to do with this school. If I'm wrong about that, I'd be happy to be corrected.

Alright then. Let's see, starting with Equipment

We have access to a variety of Digital Cameras from Basic PD150s (Term 1 Students), to JVCs, and Sony D-30 Betacams, as well as Cannon XL1's and XL1s. XL2s and HDV cameras are apperantly arriving soon.

On the Film Side, We have access to ARRI SR3 16mm Cameras as well as ARRI BL-3 35mm Cameras which all include complete kits, and a variety of prime and zoom lenses.

Other equipment also avaliable are several dollys, such as doorway dollys, and cricket dollys as well as large amounts of dolly track, each dolly with ground wheels, and speed wheels for track use.

Lighting Equipment consists of Tungsten lights ranging from small ARRI 150W, to 5Ks. Also avaliable are Daylight 5600 HMIs, up to 10K. There are also Kino Flos in singles, banks of 4, both 3200 and 5600 bulbs avaliable. Scrims are avaliable for all light sizes to tone down light intensity. Also avaliable are the use of Skypan lights.

Gripping equiptment consists of your basic grip stands, with standard arms to larger Sky highs. Related gripping equiptment also includes all sizes of Flags, Silks, and whites. There is also a large Green Screen avaliable as well.

In the School, there are 3 Studios, one equiped with a Professional Broadcast Control Room for training in Television Production, with indutstry standard equipment. The second studio features a large white sike for use, and the third is just a large empty studio for any use requested. Studios can be signed out by students during times that classes are not running, as well as signouts lasting a full weekend.

Each studio is equiped with a Lighting grid, as well as a Large power source of up to 250Volts. Power equipment consists of GFI Disconnects, 6 by 70s, and 3 by 20 Defs. Seaway and Joy cables are avaliable for use.

There is a large frieght elevator that has access to the studios, to bring in any off-site constructed sets, or any other materials, as well as take down large amounts of equipment signed out for location shoots.

As a student in the school, Film Stock can be purchased from either Kodak or Fuji at student discounted rates, which I'm sure is avaliable at any other film school.

The school is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so if I wanted to, and have in the past, could spend a night at the school working in an editing suite, un-interrupted. The school relies on student key card access to prevent students from other programs, as well as those not even in the school from gaining access to any program specific equipment.

Another big advantage with the school, which you would problably find at other Film School, is a good source of other programs students to pull from. With an Editing Specific Program, as well as an Audio Production, and Acting Program in the school, you'll be able to find serious students who are willing to work on your production.

One Project I'm working on now as the DoP, will have 2 Audio Students on our crew to perform On set Audio, as well as Post Audio on pro tools suites.

Film Program students have access to the Basic Pro Tools suites, as well as AVID Pro Editing suites and Final Cut Pro HD Stations.

The instructors at the school are highly experienced in the industry, especially the instructor for Film and Film Cameras who has been working in the industry for over 30 years, and has quite possibly the answer to any question I can come up with, so far.

Instructors in other portions of the program such as Audio Design, Editing, Screenwriting and Writing for television, still work in the Industry, and provide a pretty good insight into how to make a living.

One last great advantage to the school, is having access to the schools equipment room up to a year after finishing the program.

As for the schools tie to CBC, its nothing more then the school occupying space in the building, but CBC does grant students discounted prices on access to the CBC Prop house as well as access to Sets.

As for what I personally intend to do, once I complete the program, I have a high interest in working as a Director of Photography. I've jumped onto every Film Production I can in the program as a DoP to continue to advance my skills, as well as work as a Camera Op on several other shoots.

I doubt having a fancy sheet of paper from Ryerson or Sheridan makes a difference if I demonstrate in my reel, that I'm good at what I do. What I plan on doing right now, is to continue work on student short films, as well as independent shorts to start, and advance my skills, as well as continue to build a good reel. Where I'll go from there, I haven't decided.

Edited by FrancoC

"I doubt having a fancy sheet of paper from Ryerson or Sheridan makes a difference if I demonstrate in my reel, that I'm good at what I do."

You're in for a shock. Good luck.

R,

well i definately have a lot to consider here. for right now i'm going to purchase a dvx100a, teach myself the basics and shoot some work over the next 12 months or so. i will also be investigating the toronto film school, the toronto film college as well as the universities in the area to see what looks best for me. i have a contact in the tv business through my father that i will be discussing all this with as well...basically anything i can do to gain some insight into what is worth doing to learn as much about the film business as well as making films in general i am going to do. any film work i complete will probably be posted on boards like this to get some constructive critiques etc.

i really appreciate all the info guys thank you all very much.

Edited by Jason Hamilton

Thank you Richard for proving, once again, that most producers are eletist butts. The vast majority of the people I know working in the film industry have no formal education at all. From what I've seen the industry is based on past experience or connections... in fact many people feel that attending film school is a waste of money all together (Sheridan, Ryerson, Toronto Film School all included).

"Look at the jobs advertised in Playback, so many of them ask for a university degree in communications or a related field. The Toronto Film School can't grant you a four year degree." Hmmmm---that's funny---from what I can see 99 % of the jobs on playback (or any other film related job site) ask for experience---not a piece of paper from any school. I think Franco will be just fine--seems to know what he's talking about (as long he doesn't run into any big headed prick producers like richard)... and good luck with that one!

"Thank you Richard for proving, once again, that most producers are eletist butts."

Thank-you shabam for once again proving that most students like you have manure for brains and have no idea what you're talking about.

I hope you enjoy flipping burgers once you graduate from what ever school you're at.

R,

PS: If you're going to call some one an "elitist" please learn how to spell it first.

oooooh---burn!

I go to Sheridan--thanks for asking!

*cough* what kind of producer has time to make 400+ posts in a web forum? my guess is richard knows all too well how to flip burgers... my guess is CTV laid him off to hire someone that wasn't such a "bourgeois pig" (did I spell that one right richard!!?) oh---and everyone knows that the producer is the dirty parasite of the film industry-so you made the mistake of assuming anyone even cares about your opinion on anything!!

-s

(look i'm a big time producer! I sign my name with just one letter!!)

For your information dumb ass I haven't been at CTV since Feb of 2000. I run my own company and answer to no one, so yes I have the luxury of making as many posts in a web forum as I like.

Unlike you, who will soon be on the street begging cap in hand for any scrap of work that will fall off of the table. I hope you enjoy a life of contract work and temp jobs, because that's all you will get. You'll be living in your parents basement & eating Kraft dinner for many years to come.

Sheridan! Don't make me laugh, what happened? Could not get accepted at a real school?

R,

did I say dirty parasite? I meant to say dirty money grubbing parasite! Ohhhh-now I feel bad. Lets make up Richard! What do you say? I'll take you out for ice cream and dancing! I'll even let you hold my hand!

-S

Well if you're going to work in this industry you'd better get used to the "dirty money grubbing parasite!" as you put it, if you're lucky you'll get a job working for one.

Typically the "dirty money grubbing parasite!" looks for dumb suckers like you fresh out of school to work 80 hours a week on some project, where you'll be treated like crap and make little money. If you complain or quit, no problem, a quick phone call to Sheridan and they'll send over another dumb sucker, and another and another. All the while the "dirty money grubbing parasite!" is profiting from your labour, and people like you are dumb enough to let him get away with it!!!

When the project is over you'll be dumped onto the scrap heap with the rest of the garbage. Think this only happens at the low levels of the biz? Guess again, read the trades on what happens to the guys at the big FX shops when work is slow.

As for going dancing with you and holding your hand, I accept, but first I have to make sure my shots are up-to-date.

R,

wait---is this THE Richard Boddington of "Deathdealer.com" and "The Snowman Who Saved Summer" fame!? if it is I take it all back! I am not fit to lick at your hallowed toes---not to mention actually converse with you! See as I grovel at your feet--- PLEASE Richard, abuse me! I'll work 80+ hours a week on your poorly written, direct to the bargain bin at your local gas station cinematic tripe! and I'll do it all for FREE! for FREE! I say! take advantage of me! PLEEEASE!

Ok send me your resume.

IMDB is far from a complete list.

Can we all see your IMDB listing now? I'm sure if you can shoot your mouth off you have work to back it up with?

Since you don't even use your real name on the forum I guess this means you're still at the

"fly pooh" stage of your career.

I hope you enjoy being there, it's where you will stay.

R,

richard, i don't want to get into this little fight but i do have an actual question relating to my original post. where did you go to school? and second did you learn the skills you needed to make it into the business from school or did your degree get you in and then you learned what and how things actually were in the 'real world' so to speak? i'm not asking to be a dick, i'm asking b/c a lot of the schools like the toronto film school say that they give you good hands on experience so that you don't have such a learning curve when you get into the industry (that is to say you already kind of have experience). once again i'm asking in all honesty.

thanx

jason

edit:

and one last quick question, would you hire someone from one these trade schools ie the toronto film school or the new york film academy etc or do you hire university grads exclusivily?

Edited by Jason Hamilton

C'mon Rich and Shabam,

fighting on the internet is like racing in the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Now, on the topic at hand. I myself go to the Toronto Film School with Franco. Franco is actually my Cinematographer on every project I direct and he sure as Hell knows what he's doing. We are all taught cinematography from a guy named Burnie MacNeil. He knows his shtick. He was around when 3x20's actually got the nickname "Def". If you're in the field, break an ND filter and don't know what to do, he can tell you how to make one with saramwrap and hairspray. Now the equipment we have at the school can be viewed as "minimal" to some and "wickedly awesome" by others depending on your background. As someone who used to work for Cogeco Cable 10 in Niagara Falls, the school falls under the wickedly awesome category. From what I understand it's the same for those who took interns at Roger Cable 10 (where Franco used to work).

Here's the thing, TFS is a conservative school meaning you're taught EVERYTHING involved in making a film. Most "traditional" institutions fixate on one area or the other. Usually that area is directing. This is why schools like TFS are looked down upon, because a person can leave it and get a job either as a grip or a director, and both had the same education. Your own experience there and what you do with your time is what will define you as a film maker, not which piece of paper you have hanging over your wall.