wolf creek

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

I saw a late night showing of this at Cannes and I found it very impressive for its budget (aprox $1 million), I just found out it was shot on HD! I had no idea, this is the first time I've seen an HD picture and not realised. There were desert externals, night shoots and mixed light sources. Does anyone have any technical details?

Keith

Guest Tristan Nieto

Note: I wasn't involved in the production, so can only speculate.

I can almost guarantee it was shot on a Sony F900, simply because that's pretty much the only HD camera available for rental in australia. There's the odd Varicam around, and Panavision can wrangle a genesis camera if you've got the cash (which no one does), but the F900 is really the only thing around. I've done a few HD shoots down here, and the only HD camera I've ever worked with is an F900 (and i'm pretty sure it was the same F900).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Finally saw this one! was looking forward to it after Keith's recommendation, and knowing it was HD, and $1 million... i thought it looked great... indeed, it had a lot of night shots, flashlights, outdoor daylight. i thought the shot in the garage with the overhead light was really cool... as Keith said, i thought this was totally passable HD; perhaps the HD to 35mm filmout helped slightly?

the story left a little to be desired... the first act was WAY too long, maybe 35 min? and there were some big logic gaps in the actions of the protag(s). and the ending was probably too indebted to history, and would have benefited from some fiction. those facts notwithstanding, it wasn't a predictable hollywood thriller, so i enjoyed it's grittiness, sense of realism and despair, and the vacuous outback shots.

ae

and the ending was probably too indebted to history, and would have benefited from some fiction.

my understanding is that (despite the subtitles) it WAS fiction... :)

I thought the HD tended to swing all over the map (in the print I saw, at least) from very video-y (the party scenes) to gorgeous and very filmic. There was an obviously standard-def shot of the airplane in-flight that was a bit jarring.

oof, kinda brutal too.