Outdoor shoot

Hey guys.

I'm shooting in a little under 3 weeks in the location shown in the attached images. They were taken in nice August sunshine.

post-7235-1125488365.jpgpost-7235-1125488487_thumb.jpg

I'll have reflectors and bounce boards on location, but unfortunately, a gennie isn't an option, so powered lighting is out. The stock is Fuji 250D, shooting on an Arri 16SR, during the day, in mid September, so given the climate here in Dublin, it could be lashing rain one minute, then bright sunshine and a 5 degree temperature increase the next. The scenes involve 2 actors talking while sitting on the bench or leaning on the railings in front of it. We can also get our hands on some C-stands, so flagging is possible.

Myself and my DP are going to block and map out all the shots with the camera a few days before the shoot, hoping to iron out some of the problems that could arise, but we're sure to miss some things.

If anyone out there has any tips for this kind of lighting, I'd appreciate any help you can give us.

thanks in advance,

Cillian.

Hi,

I'd try and keep it as natural as possible, just using your reflectors for a bit of fill if you need it. Maybe bring along a small battery light in case you need to get a little twinkle in the eyes.

If you're unlucky and it's overcast and very flat-looking, think about using a black flag or reflector next to the face as 'negative fill' just to help the modelling a bit.

Good luck with the weather, it looks a nice location in the sunshine...personally I love shooting people in 'dappled' sunlight under the trees.

Cheers,

JM

Thanks Johann.

Yeah, it's a real nice location, especially under the light in the first image. That whole veranda/decking can be closed off from the paths in the park too, so we have a bit more control over it, while not interferring with the public too much.

Cheers for the advice.