kodak B/W Print positive 7302 - ASA?

Richard Tuohy

G'day,

I want to try some experiments with using Kodak's BW print stock (7302) as a high contrast (and very slow!) camera stock. I have heard ASA ratings from 3 to 12. Actually, one thing I want to do is cross process the stock as a reversal which would efectively double the asa. Kodak don't seem to have the asa of this stock listed on their web site.

Anyone help?

Richard T.

• Premium Member
G'day,

I want to try some experiments with using Kodak's BW print stock (7302) as a high contrast (and very slow!) camera stock.  I have heard ASA ratings from 3 to 12.  Actually, one thing I want to do is cross process the stock as a reversal which would efectively double the asa.  Kodak don't seem to have the asa of this stock listed on their web site.

Anyone help?

Richard T.

Speed ratings (EI) are only applied to camera stocks.

Although Kodak publishes sensitometric data for all its motion picture films, it's hard to compare a blue-only sensitive stock like 7302 with a panchromatic camera stock. With a non-standard reversal process, you are on your own.

I'd suggest starting at EI 3, and run a wide exposure series to narrow down the speed for your conditions.

I will have to do tests.

Oh yes, you certainly will. That's the joy of playing with non-standard stocks and processes.

With normal processing, B/W print stock has a gamma about 4 times that of B/W negative, and consequently, is very exposure-critical. Half a stop either way will make a massive difference to the image, as the stock can record a brightness range of only 3 or 4 stops (depending what gamma you process to).

If you want more than blue-only sensitivity, you might try panchromatic sound negative stock 2374. Beware - it's polyester based.