Which Tripod is good for the money?

Dion

Hi,

I need a good tripod for the money. I have a dvx100a and have been using a rather cheap tripod and I would like to upgrade ASAP.

I spent most of my money on the camera so my budget is tight but I know there has to be something out there. I want a tripod that is quiet and smooth at a reasonable price.

I have surfed around but there is no better advise than from people who use the tripods everyday.

Please advise

Thanks,

Dion

At work we give out the Miller Arrow 20 series with our DVXs but you might be able to get away with a lightweight Manfrotto, I can't think of the model offhand but they do not come with a quick release plate and instead it's just a solid piece attached to the head. I want to say 3001? They fold up pretty compact and would hold your camera, though I would recommend something a little sturdier.. Manfrotto actually makes kits that include the head, sticks, spreader, and bags if you want. Even though your camera is pretty light I would still consider the weight as a factor and also take into account what kind of work you'll be doing. On the one hand you probably won't want anything that will need additional support (like if it's really lightweight) but on the other hand if you're going to be doing a lot of documentary work, you don't want a huge set o' sticks to haul around. I guess I would say check ebay too, but check out the Miller and Manfrotto websites first and see what models they have to offer. Good luck.

• Premium Member
Hi,

I need a good tripod for the money. I have a dvx100a and have been using a rather cheap tripod and I would like to upgrade ASAP.

I spent most of my money on the camera so my budget is tight but I know there has to be something out there. I want a tripod that is quiet and smooth at a reasonable price.

I have surfed around but there is no better advise than from people who use the tripods everyday.

Please advise

Thanks,

Dion

If you've got $1800 to spend, I'd recommend a Vinten Vision 3. I bought a Vision 5 (which is the Euro-version of the Vision 6) to go with my XL-2. It was $600 new on eBay but the head is pretty cheapo. The Vision 3 head is MUCH better. $1200 better? Dunno. The legs on the 5 are great, though.