Coating strength, and uncoated reflex bolex lenses

Steven Budden

A few questions...

I'm wondering how strong the coating is in general, and particularly on a Vario Switar Multi coated zoom? Someone told me the coating is on the inside of lenses but I'm assuming that is incorrect. I've cleaned it a few times with air and a luminex cloth, but I've settled on q tips because I tend to get a little overzealous with the cloths and just rub grease around and panic. So the glass is not likely to scratch during cleaning, but the coating? Also, stubborn white specs... are they likely dings in the coating? I haven't been using a lens protector because I read somewhere that that is just paranoia and lenses aren't THAT fragile. But just in terms of easing my mind it might be worth it. (Also, I didn't want to use a multicoated lens and put a crappy piece of glass on the front so I'm still looking at options). Any comments?

Side question: A few tiny fibers of dust or something got inside the above lens. Is that normal?

Also... shooting for that old uncoated look on a bolex reflex? What lenses could I use? Can I somehow rub the coating off of an RX switar or angenieux for that look? Or are there any old lenses that will work on the reflex? Also, is the coating generally on all the elements or just the front?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Steven

Cleaning lenses less is more. Coatings are extremely thin, that's hpw they work.

Destroy the coating on an RX switar WHY ? That's insane. Jeez if you want flare shoot into lights.

I'm dubious about uncoated look as a general statement. It's one thing if you want to flag, french flag cut like crazy with a full crew and grip package.

Going out with a Bolex on 16mm something else.

Old Angenieux c mount primes should work well for this. Also some of those C mount "TV" lenses. (I have a 25mm something or other with no visible coating). However they may not focus at infinity in RX camera, but might provide a "look"

-Sam

Cleaning lenses less is more. Coatings are extremely thin, that's hpw they work.

Destroy the coating on an RX switar WHY ? That's insane. Jeez if you want flare shoot into lights.

I'm dubious about uncoated look as a general statement. It's one thing if you want to flag, french flag cut like crazy with a full crew and grip package.

Going out with a Bolex on 16mm something else.

Old Angenieux c mount primes should work well for this. Also some of those C mount "TV" lenses. (I have a 25mm something or other with no visible coating). However they may not focus at infinity in RX camera, but might provide a "look"

-Sam

Switars are fairly cheap now. I just thought if I could get one really cheap with a damaged coating I would rub it off. But is the coating on all the elements? Then it wouldn't make much sense. I suppose I could use a non coated front of the lens filter. This really increases flare in my experience.

Steven

Please don't wreck a Switar RX lens. There are plenty of old Cooke, Angenieux, Bell & Howell, Bausch & Lomb and Elgeet lenses from the 20's through 40's with uncoated elements that can give you the old lens look, they look good and they're dirt cheap on eBay.