oliver twist

sorry to just spew emotion out like this but i swear i can't keep myself ffrom bouncing off the walls at the moment. i thought this film was amazingly beautiful. i haven't felt this for quite sometime. i draw much of my inspiration from painting so this film to me was just unreal. i found myself unabel to sit still through certain shots becasue i was blown away at their beauty..the lighting...the frame...just incredible. i wonder if anyone else felt the same.

• Premium Member

I can't wait. Not only is Oliver Twist one of my favorite books - if there's one man who can do it justice it's Polanski. Oliver Twist is dark, brooding, suspenseful and tragically funny at the same time, something no one seems to lick - they always turn it into some childrens movie or something. Lean got it right with his 1948 version and this version shows the same promise. And one could do worse than have Pawel wield the lightmeter on one's film... :P

Didn't care for it myself -- I thought the script was empty and episodic, Polanski seemed to be phoning it in editorially, and he certainly vanilla-ed up a few of points in the book. (for example, oliver is the illegit grandson of the guy who adopts him in the end; which to Dickens spoke volumes about why oliver was differnt than the other kids, maybe Polanski didn't like the class assumptions or something)

Also felt that the photography was dime-a-dozen. The high-con brown tones I see every time I turn on the TV, and it looked like the whole thing was prepped so it worked well with the fakey looking CG backgrounds.

Sorry. :)