TV SHOT IN HD

Guest ashulkind

Guest ashulkind

I need examples of current and recent television dramas and comedies shot in HD for a film course I am teaching. thanks....

Here's a few that I know of (supplemented with info from the prod. credits in ICG magazine). Some of these I watch, many I've never even heard of:

According to Jim

Arrested Development

Barbershop

Battlestar Galactica

Bernie Mac

8 Simple Rules

Eve

The George Lopez Show

Less Than Perfect

The L Word

Reba

Related

Rescue Me

Sleeper Cell

What I Like About You

Zoey 101

Here's a link to a Millimeter article, discussing Showtime's switch to 24p HD for all of its original programming:

http://millimeter.com/e-newsletters/HD_focus_08_23_05/

I need examples of current and recent television dramas and comedies shot in HD for a film course I am teaching. thanks....

For network shows, all sitcoms currently on the air on all 6 networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, UPN) are shot on HD video except for Two and a Half Men, King of Queens, Scrubs (single camera, but still basically a sitcom), That 70's Show, and perhaps one or two others that I'm forgetting, which are all on film. For dramas, the only shows on those networks that are HD video originated are Just Legal, Night Stalker, and Sex Lies and Secrets. All other network dramas are shot on film.

On cable, all HBO scripted programs with the exception of Curb Your Enthusiasm (which is only barely scripted) are on film. "Curb" is shot on standard definition video. All Showtime original programming is currently HD video originated. That would include Weeds, Huff, The L Word, and a few others. On basic cable, the only film shows I can think of are Monk, Nip/Tuck, and The Closer. Just about all other basic cable programs are HD video originated. That would include the Stargates, Battlestar Galactica, Rescue Me, The Dead Zone, and a number of others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
All Showtime original programming is currently HD video originated. That would include Weeds, Huff, The L Word, and a few others. On basic cable, the only film shows I can think of are Monk, Nip/Tuck, and The Closer.

Weeds looks like it started out being shot on HD, then switched to 35mm for the last few episodes. (Can anyone verify this?) For what it's worth, despite my usual preference for film, I thought Mary Louise Parker's smile cut through better on HD. (It's a great smile.) Either that, or maybe it's just the weed.

Weeds looks like it started out being shot on HD, then switched to 35mm for the last few episodes. (Can anyone verify this?) For what it's worth, despite my usual preference for film, I thought Mary Louise Parker's smile cut through better on HD. (It's a great smile.) Either that, or maybe it's just the weed.

Weeds was never shot on film. All episodes were shot on 24p HD video.

• Premium Member
On cable, all HBO scripted programs with the exception of Curb Your Enthusiasm (which is only barely scripted) are on film. "Curb" is shot on standard definition video.

What about The Comeback? Looks like SD to me, but could be HD. Horrendous show by the way.

• Premium Member
Weeds was never shot on film. All episodes were shot on 24p HD video.

The last few episodes of the series had a significantly more diffuse look than the earlier episodes, as well as a more 35mm looking depth of field. Something was definitely altered in the production style. Do you know what was done? When they rerun the first season, this should be apparent.