how i can see into

gregoalon

• Premium Member

That depends on the reflectance of your subject. At the same incident reading, let's say 4 stops under, a dark object will not show up anymore, but a brighter one will.

The only guide I could give you is that on the 5218 500T a caucasian face at 4 1/2 stops under is still barely visible. At 5 stops under it is pretty much gone. That is for a print of course, if you only go to telecine, then you can always crush the blacks later.

• Premium Member

With any color negative film, as you underexpose it, you will begin to lose shadow detail, and the print or transfer will have less density in the blacks. Certainly the Kodak VISION2 films have excellent underexposure latitude, but as you go beyond two stops under exposed, you may not be satisifed with the lack of shadow detail, the "milky" blacks, and the increase in graininess. If getting enought light is an issue, consider the use of Kodak VISION2 500T Color Negative Film 5218.

It's a nice stock. Just shot a commercial in Spain with it last month. Since it was only telecined, I only had detail until maybe around 4 stops under reflected. I don't think using FCs will help that much because it doesn't take reflectance into account.