100mm Tripods and Sliders - Overkill for Small Rigs?

Chris Barker

Hi,

I need to invest in a new tripod and slider. My rig is usually very stripped down (typically a RED with a 50mm prime, no matte box, no batteries on camera = 2.5kg/5.5lbs +).

Is thinking about an O'Connor 1040 with a Flyking overkill?

I tested a Sachtler Flowtech 75mm FSB-8 and, unless I was doing something wrong, the pans/tilts just weren't smooth enough.

I would ideally like the lightest tripod/slider combo possible as it will save me having to hire assistants for documentary shoots where I have to walk long distances, but getting a setup sturdy enough that I can be confident I'll have perfectly smooth results is much more important.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

If you're a solo operator it's about balancing what you're able carry yourself vs. weight of the gear.

Having more mass means you will have greater inertia / smoother pans and tilts. So you're essentially combating the weight of the camera rig with the mass of the tripod head, coupled w/ the stiffness of the sticks. I would recommend a 1030 head (6-7lbs) vs. a 1040 (10lbs).

Overall I prefer 100mm setups to 75mm ones. Adapting 100mm to Mitchell mount is also an easier sturdier proposition when using even beefier setups/sliders.