Michel Gondry's Come Into My World and Star Guitar

Robert Edge

• Premium Member

Does anyone know what Gondry did in post production for Come Into My World to get multiple images of Kylie Minogue and what he did in the Chemical Brothers video to get multiple images of structures?

Are there any articles out there, in English or French, on the techniques that Gondry uses in his videos and television spots? It's clear to me that he has studied some old National Film Board of Canada shorts, especially Norman McLaren's work, but there are other things in his videos that have me stumped.

Thanks.

Does anyone know what Gondry did in post production for Come Into My World

I believe that come into my world was done by using motion control camera passes and a lot of rotoscoping. The hard rotoscoping only would happen while people crossed over people though as the set remains the same.

If you're really curious about Gondry, rent or buy the DVD of his videos which contains lengthy autobiographical documentaries about him and his childhood.

• Premium Member

Mark,

I have the DVD. As you may know, it includes, in addition to recent material, a number of early short films that say plenty about Gondry's filmmaking roots. Then there is La Lettre, which is deceptive. It has the look of an early film that might have been shot by Gondry and a few friends, but it was actually made in 1998 with a good sized crew and funding from Canal+. It is a very nice short, quite different from his commercial material.

Unfortunately, Gondry doesn't talk much in the autobiographical part of the DVD about technical issues. There are a number of internet sites that say that the Minogue video was done with a motion control camera and some very careful choreography. I'd like to learn more, especially what he (or his brother, if some internet sites are correct) is doing in post. His use of multiple images on a single background is something that jumps out at you in the Minogue video, but he also does it, a little less obviously, in some of his other work, such as Star Guitar.

I think it was a lot of planning and rotoscoping, if you look closely at the kids jumping from post to post, you can see where the rotoscoping overlaps and one 'walks through' another one. little errors like that but given the complexity of the project it is still amazing. I love the part where the 4 (or maybe 5) minouges cross at the lightpost. amazing timing.

still my favorite one he has done is either the Foo Fighters video (still a favorite song for me to play, made me pick up a guitar in the first place) and the video with the two japanees girls in splitscreen.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dbledwn11

http://www.director-file.com/gondry/

this site reveals some of the techniques he uses in a number of his videos, but never gives too much away.

it's interesting because when Michel Gondry was younger he was really into magic and i think that tradition of never giving the solution away is something he has its carried over into his films and animations - afer all what is film if not just one big magic trick.

so i reckon it's unlikely you'l find out exactly how he does certain things because he's an animator/film-maker who belives firmly in unspoilt illusions.

he also uses very old-school techniques, pre McLaren even, but don't let that fool you cause he has connections with a very talented group of software engineers who have helped him out on a number of projects. so when you watch his work its difficult to discern between the high and low tech aspects.

ps. the sugar water video has to be one of the most well devised music videos ever. did you get the pun in the video by the way?

• Premium Member
[afer all what is film if not just one big magic trick.

In Gondry's case, I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I watched the Sugar Water video only once. Didn't like the music. Currently, I have the DVD on loan to a musician friend who wants to make a video, so I can't look for the pun. Enlighten me.