Canon GL2

Guest CJ Films

Guest CJ Films

Hi all. I am new to the forums so I hope I posted this in the correct area.

I have 2 Canon GL2's and I am starting a small film that involves both indoor and outdoor scenes. I wanted to find out what the best way to light these scenes?

The indoor scenes will be in an office environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

CJ

Dont mix lighting unless you want the blue look. The cannons seem quite adept at holding their white ballance and having a limited range in terms of color temp. (as do most cameras I suppose, my GL1 seems more sensitive than my beta tho) so choose a color temp. and stick with it. also I would recomend using an 85b filter for outdoor scenes, the chips are balanced for tungsten and have to attenuate or boost (gainup) the individual red/green/blue channels within its own color matrix to ballance daylight. with the 85b you will have a sharper image.

Light every scene to a 1.4 (I think thats the lowest setting) you have 1/3" chips so everything will be in focus, not as astetically pleasing as a 35mm animorphic picture. If your outdoors and cant get to a 1.4 naturally, then apply ND until you get close. also some diffuser on the lense (very light) will soften the harshness that the pixel shift induces.

be ready for slightly redish images, not sure if they fixed it with the GL2, but my GL1 responds to red too much, I always have to color correct it after the fact (dont do any in camera CC other than whitebalance, you loose information every time you color correct, quickly leading to a noisy picture.)

Edited by Michael Collier

Guest CJ Films
Dont mix lighting unless you want the blue look. The cannons seem quite adept at holding their white ballance and having a limited range in terms of color temp. (as do most cameras I suppose, my GL1 seems more sensitive than my beta tho) so choose a color temp. and stick with it. also I would recomend using an 85b filter for outdoor scenes, the chips are balanced for tungsten and have to attenuate or boost (gainup) the individual red/green/blue channels within its own color matrix to ballance daylight. with the 85b you will have a sharper image.

Light every scene to a 1.4 (I think thats the lowest setting) you have 1/3" chips so everything will be in focus, not as astetically pleasing as a 35mm animorphic picture. If your outdoors and cant get to a 1.4 naturally, then apply ND until you get close. also some diffuser on the lense (very light) will soften the harshness that the pixel shift induces.

be ready for slightly redish images, not sure if they fixed it with the GL2, but my GL1 responds to red too much, I always have to color correct it after the fact (dont do any in camera CC other than whitebalance, you loose information every time you color correct, quickly leading to a noisy picture.)

Help me out on some of the terms. (Newbie I am)

When you say 85b filter, is that a polarized or UV filter?

What do you mean when you say ND until you get close?

CJ,

The 85B is neither a polarizer nor a UV filter, it is redish, it's own beast. Search B&H Photo for 85B.

You may also need a variety of ND filters, which are neutral and simply cut light to the lens. When you are outdoors, you will likely get an exposure of F/8 or higher. There will be huge depth of field and everything will be in focus, not very film like. You can throw an ND.9 on there and get it down to F/2, which will have shallower depth of field (not like film, but an improvement). You'll need an assortment because you can't predict in advance what the sunlight will be like.

Josh