Help with Waveform and Scope

Guest Christopher Wedding

Guest Christopher Wedding

Hey guys,

It's time for me to learn how to use a Waveform and Vector Scope correctly. I'm hoping someone might know a website that could explain the steps to take to use this when in the field or especially when prepping.

If no website, quick advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

It depends on what your planning on doing. The vectroscope is good to check you saturation in various channels. If you over saturate you get bad colors, and colors will spill to other pixels.

The real one you want to pay attention to is the waveform monitor. This one basicly will show you the IRE of every pixel. Its great if you have it on hand to set exposure with, or to make sure highlights dont blow out and bloom. If you set it up with your camera and pan left to right you will see how it works. every pixel in each verticle line gets grouped and displayed over eachother. If you have a really light waveform at a particular IRE value it indicates only a few pixles are at that level. If its bright that means there are several pixles of that value. The easiest way to use this information is to set things that are supposed to be white but not blown out to IRE 90. You want at least 10% headroom to cover color correction later. its ok if things like windows or the hotspot of practicles clips at 100% IRE, because even if you color correct you still probably want those parts of the image pure white.

now if you want to use this to set a camera up, I am not an engeneer so I wont go into that part of it, but as an on set tool to guide you with exposure you can ensure the most picture information and make sure your not overdoing it. iris up until what you want to go white is at IRE 90. usually there is a pretty wide gap from your midtones to highlights, so its easy to eyeball.