Search the Community
Showing results for tags '48 hour film contest'.
Last friday I made a new thread in the lightning section to ask for tips an advice on how to shoot a film noir. (http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=63816) I'll first explain something about the project. I participated in a dutch 48-hour competition this weekend as a cinematographer. 48 Hour is a competition held regularly in The Netherlands in which numeral film-teams compete against each other by creating a short movie from concept to completion in just one weekend. During the kick-off of the event every team get's randomly assigned to a genre. We got Film Noir. I was really excited that we got this genre, because I could do so much with the lighting! All the participating teams get a different genre, but they all have to incorporate the following things into their movie: Prop : a red dress. Character: Julia or Jules Mendez Line of text: "Do you always use the same side?" Unfortunately our edit pc crashed during rendering, causing us to be disqualified for entrance because we didn't make the deadline by 10 minutes.. (I still can't believe it, it sucks so bad.) But nevertheless I am really happy with my results, since this was my first time as a d.o.p. in a crew larger than 3 persons. Man this was a challenge to shoot in so little time. I think I slept a total of 8 hours during the whole weekend, but it was definitely worth it! I am really interested what you think about the movie and I would love to hear feedback from you all to improve my skills in future productions! I was responsible for placing the lights, choosing the angles and movements, operating the camera and doing the colorgrade in the end. So every advice regarding to these aspects is welcome! The film can be watched here: www.vimeo.com/twanpeeters/thedarkestdance (pass: thedarkestdance) How the scene was set up: I lit the scenes using 3x 350w Laniro redheads, two dimmers and a small dslr led panel. We didn't have the time to find blinds, so instead we carved out a blind pattern in cardboard. Harsh keylight coming from behind the blinds, fill coming from the practical and the wall. I wanted to place the back-light more behind her, but then the light would get in the shot unfortunately. I am not completely satisfied with the colorgrade yet, so I will make a better version soon. I was under so much pressure from the deadline that I had to do the whole color grade in 30 minutes. I think in some of the shots the shadows are too crushed and in others the highlights should be more or less bright. The ending shot is made on a bridge, a smoke machine, a car and one redhead. I wetted down the wooden bridge to make it a bit more shiny. Doesn't look so bad in color either! Since we had to incorporate a red dress into a film noir, I thought it would look really cool if I would remove all of the color, except for this bright red dress. We shot it infront of a black bed sheet, with two red-heads lighting our dancer from behind (one from above on the right and one from a lower angle on the left. I wanted to keep the dancer mysterious and not recognizable. As you can see on the original shot on the bottom I had a lot of noise issues with these shots. I was shooting on ISO 1600 since increasing the light intensity would take away the shadows that I wanted. (I need to get a better camera!)