what type of bolex is this????

Stewart Munro

Guest Ian Marks

Stewart, don't buy it but tell me where I can. That's an M4. It's mechanically identical to the latest Rex 5 as far as the movement and transport mechanism is concerned, and it has the 1:1 shaft in addition to the 1:8 shaft, so it will accept all the latest and greatest motors, including Clive Tobin's great crystal motors. (Actually, your photo doesn't show the side with the drive shafts, but given the fact that this is a "flat base" Bolex, I can be reasonably certain.) A magazine saddle can be added to this camera allowing it to accept the 400' magazine (making it an M5).

True, this camera has no reflex viewfinder and is not as desireable as a reflex model. The side finder is not bad - certainly no worse than using the side finder on a Filmo. The camera can also be used with a Pan Cinor or Angenieux zoom lens with built-in reflex finder, making it a reflex camera. Those lenses fit the camera like they were made for it.

Where did you see the camera?

Ian, Don't buy the camera until you see the other side : it could be an M-3 (flat base but no 1/1 shaft)...

A very good camera indeed, but you need a solution to the viewier problem. Reflex zoom lenses make this a great beginner package (but drop the CCTV zoom that's mounted on it!).

Otherwise, these make great parts cameras for Rex-4/5 and SB/SBM's : exactly the same mechanics besides the turret, viewfinder, and shutter. All the holes are there too. The best deals for a Rex-5 with a broken spring (for examples) are the M4's that were used as surveillance cameras in banks in the 60's/70's : they look bad because of external modifications for the motor mount, but they've run next to nothing (how many robberies n a bank's lifetime ?) and their spring is effectively new (electric motor all the way). Great deal for the handy filmaker !

-B

Guest Ian Marks

Hi Boris -

Yes, I know it might be a late M3, but even so I wouldn't reject the camera for not having a 1:1 shaft.

I have an M4 and an M5, both with reflex zooms, and they're sweet. I wouldn't mind having a third, if the price were right.