Vertical Ray of the Sun (Mark Lee)

Saw VROTS on DVD. Amazing cinematography by Bin Ping Lee (otherwise known as "Mark" Lee). Apparently his other work includes "In the Mood for Love", a film I have yet to see. As for the film, I thought it was good but not great....but the photography is some of the best I've ever witnessed. A lot of the imagery has to do with the overall production design and use of colors, but still, the images were absolutely stunning. When I see a film like this, I cannot ever imagine film being replaced by some form of digital(*). Perhaps that's niave (and I certainly don't believe in the "superiority" of film), but when seeing what is possible with 35mm in this movie, it's hard to imagine anything preferable to this.

Anyone know any details re: lenses or filmstock?

(*)To anyone reading this, please spare me any film vs. digital debates.

Li Ping-bin is a great DP. I don't know what stock(s).

"In The Mood for Love" is well worth it. He took over for Chis Doyle, it's pretty seamless.

From a thread on another list, that was mostly 5279 (Li Ping-bin's stuff) and 5298.

You should see his work for Hou Hsiao-hsien like "The Puppetmaster" "Good Men, Good Women" "Flowers of Shanghai" and so on. (Hou is one of my very favourite directors)

-Sam

(*)To anyone reading this, please spare me any film vs. digital debates.

P.S. The Hou films I've seen in stunning 35mm prints by Atlab (Hi Dominc !) may cause you forget all about how many "K" a release print is equivalent to :D

-Sam