windows!!

ok, I am in Montreal, and these days, its very cloudy. I have a studio to light, with a really big windows, and for sure, the director wants it in the shot. I know I can put CTO on the windows, but then, should I put a full, an half or a quarter, I mean, the fact that its really cloudy should change a lot no? Otherwise I can use a 85b filter or a 85b + 81A filter in front of the camera, but then, it would change a lot the color of my practicable lamp (photoflood 250) in the same shot. Any suggestion. Im not desperate, but i want opinion. Thanx :unsure:

Cloudy actually raises the color temperature so you'd need more orange gel not less. Full CTO brings 5500K light to 3200K, but a cloudy day can be up around 8000K. You could use Full CTO plus 1/2 CTO, but personally I would just use Full CTO and let it be a little blue/white outside.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course this all depends on the size of the window and your resources to alter it. I would try Full CTO or CTS and then look at what that gives you. If you want more color try an additional layer of amber, straw, plus green, or something you like probubly not in a full level. I stay away from layering CTO levels since orange light is not generally that attractive.