Stills from shoot

Andrew Wheeler

Hey everyone. If anyone has a moment to check out these stills from a film im working on it would be helpful. Comments and suggestions! Thanks

andrew

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72058551@N00/

Hi Andrew,

No doubt you will get better comments than mine, here but I just ran across this and see no one has responded, so here goes.

Janis 1. Good exposure. I might suggest you flag off the light on the wall near the ceiling. In my opinion, this will give the image a bit more depth. There is another word I'm searching for what this does to an image, but it escapes me just now. More real? More a "lived in" space? I don't know, something like that. Moodier, maybe, like a bar or restaurant should be. But it's done in a lot of interior shots in features and I like it myself.

2 shot burned out in background. It's the brightest thing in the image. You want to focus the attention of the audience on the subject. Suggest put ND on windows or raise the interior levels. (Harder to do) or reframe the shot to exclude the window. Or shoot that shot when the ext light isn't so bright, like at golden hour. Also flag off some of the light on the cash register and fill in a bit on the actors from the camera view. Also, cash register looks much larger than the people, because it's so close. If you frame your shot so they're more or less all the same distance, it won't look so big. Or shoot with a longer lens to make things look more in proportion, if you have the room to do that.

3 shot looks great, but did you white balance or is that the color cast you wanted on all these?

Allison color looks great. Were you on a wide angle lens there? I'd have lost the coat though, unless that's part of her character.

Hey thanks for the comments! Yeah I agree with everything you said. I feel like excuses are made alot when people post examples and I hate doing that. But, the reality really was do to it being a no budget shoot although I would have liked to do the things you suggested, there were no means unfortunately. Also those shots were just reference photos from a digital still camera not the actual shots. I didnt have nearly enough orange gel or ND for the window which is also why the colors are weird cause the temperature is set somewhere between daylight and tungsten. Flags are non existent as well and my largest light was a 650 fresnel :( But i tried my best with what i had and I appreciate your suggestions very much,

thanks

andrew

Hey thanks for the comments! Yeah I agree with everything you said. I feel like excuses are made alot when people post examples and I hate doing that. But, the reality really was do to it being a no budget shoot although I would have liked to do the things you suggested, there were no means unfortunately. Flags are non existent as well and my largest light was a 650 fresnel :( But i tried my best with what i had and I appreciate your suggestions very much,

thanks

andrew

Well, at least you know what you know and don't insist you know something you don't know! And are willing to ask for comments to see what you're missing!