Camera Package for an interview shoot

Mike Nichols

I have a quick question: I have just been hired to do a docu style interview for a magazine. They want to shoot a 2 camera setup with 2 HVX's. I have never used the camera before. I have only used DVX-100's. Also, let me preface this by saying I am NOT a cinematographer...I wouldn't even consider myself a videographer. I am a shooter. There is a difference!

What I want to know is this...Having never used the camera before, what type of package should I suggest? Is 2 cams, sticks, 4 mics (recording audio in camera) 2 mixers (do I really need them?) and a very minimal lighting kit. Is that sufficient? Also, because of P2 cards being used, I should hire 2 pa's to serve as Camera Assitants/Loaders to dump the P2 cards.

Sorry for the newb question!

• Premium Member
I have a quick question: I have just been hired to do a docu style interview for a magazine. They want to shoot a 2 camera setup with 2 HVX's. I have never used the camera before. I have only used DVX-100's. Also, let me preface this by saying I am NOT a cinematographer...I wouldn't even consider myself a videographer. I am a shooter. There is a difference!

What I want to know is this...Having never used the camera before, what type of package should I suggest? Is 2 cams, sticks, 4 mics (recording audio in camera) 2 mixers (do I really need them?) and a very minimal lighting kit. Is that sufficient? Also, because of P2 cards being used, I should hire 2 pa's to serve as Camera Assitants/Loaders to dump the P2 cards.

Sorry for the newb question!

Hi,

I do these set-ups frequently so the one thing I'd suggest FIRST is to arrange a very large room for the shoot. Producers never think of that in advance.

Second, for a sit-down interview, I'd suggest you have a Firestore FS-100 for each camera so you don't have to stop every few minutes to swap out P2 cards (which shakes the camera and requires an extra person):

http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=150

Third, hire a sound guy with a stereo mixer like an FP-33 so you can send both mics to each camera independently.

Fourth, take daylight matched flo lights so you can take advantage of windows for fill if possible. Kinos or Lowel Caselites.